Rajasthan Road Trip


Advertisement
Asia
March 29th 2010
Published: March 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

27/03/10
So here it is, the much awaited first blog of our travels! As Steph is taking a minute to lie down I thought I'd use this moment to tell you what we've been up to. I sit now on a roof terrace in Jaisalmer overlooking a huge sandstone fort...it's a hard life!
Our travels began with a delayed arrival in Delhi due to the BA Strikes. We made it though and walked out to meet our airport pick up at around 5.30am. From there we hurtled down the Delhi streets in his car and were taken to the Parharganj area of Delhi, popular with backpackers. Our hotel was simple enough and we had a snooze until around midday. We then braced ourselves and made our attempt to get to the New Delhi train station. We found it but that was as far as we got and we were blocked out. Instead we decided to go to a tourist office where we hired a car and driver to take us around the main sites of Rajasthan. It has proved a really good idea as he can ferry us to all the sites without us getting lost or too hot!
We left Delhi the following day in a panic as our alarm had not gone off so we were around 20 minutes late for meeting our driver, whose name is Lucky. It wasn't too much of a problem as he had waited for us so we made our way out of Delhi in the rush hour traffic...very slowly. Two hours, a petrol stop and a punctured tyre later we had reached the outskirts of the city. From there the journey was much nicer but very long. We arrived in Bikaner around 8pm and had dinner in their roof top restaurant. The next day we were driven to Bikaner's fort (apparently the best in Rajasthan) and looked aound in the morning. It was incredible, the rooms were huge and very majestic and the architecture was intricate. Our first fort was a good one!!
After this visit we were on the road again where we traveled to the city of Jaisalmer. It's absolutely lovely here and the hotel is gorgeous! The rooms are decorated with silk curtains in red, pink and gold. We spent the evening on the roof terrace where we met some fellow travellers. One of which was an American from Kansas city who jokingly requested a chocolate cake. The hotel owner then sent a member of staff to get one for him and it arrived within ten minutes! We call him Mr. Fix It!
So that brings us up to date! Next Time...the camel safari!
-------Catherine-------

Advertisement



29th March 2010

happy days
Hi Catherine Happy birthday!! It sounds as if you might be in an amazing place to enjoy your day. We are so glad that you found a flight, sounds as if you've already seen a load in such a few days. Get Mr fix-it to get you a birthday cake!Camel safari, sounds interststing, enjoy.
31st March 2010

From Deli to Dehli
Hope your having a good time

Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0643s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb