Out and about in Xifeng and the countryside


Advertisement
Asia
November 8th 2009
Published: November 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

You'd think we'd have learned by now to expect the unexpected but we keep getting caught out. A couple of weeks ago there was a Tour Guide Competition in Xifeng. As one of our NVs (National Volunteers) is the sole English tour guide in Qingyang she thought it an opportunity too good to miss. She arrived with the other potentials (over 100) and 'drew lots' for times to perform etc. Perform what? you're thinking. We imagined contestants would demonstrate their guiding talents. However, although this was included, with each contestant having to deliver an interesting speech about one the eight major attractions in Qingyang, (we were surprised that there were so many!) they were also given the opportunity (which all took so as not be the odd one out) to show-off a additional talent e.g. singing or dancing or in the case of our NV, magic! The judges were arranged X-factor style and points and comments were collated to identify a winner (actually there were to be 2 1st places, 3 2nd and 5 3rd - don't ask). Finally the results were delivered. Unusually there was no grand ceremony just an announcement. Our NV came 2nd (or one of the 3 2nds) but would receive her prize in about a year's time...! We started to prepare to leave but I was summoned to the microphone to give a speech. Thankfully this wasn't the first time this has happened so I didn't embarass myself (too much) - lucky really, as Qingyang TV were filming me!

Last weekend was of course Halloween, so we had a party on the Saturday evening. After venturing out to buy food and other supplies we spent the rest of the day assembling costumes and making the flat look scary. A good time was had by all of the gouls (sorry, guests) but the party ended relatively early - 10pm. No, this wasn't related to Phil's culinary skills or how scary Sabine looked - Chinese folk just like to get to bed early. On the Sunday we took a bike ride to Xiao Kong Tong Shan a local tourist attraction (one of the 8). It is a small mountain on the edge of the plateau with a lake and lots of temples.

Although the weather here at the moment is very mild, it becomes decidedly nippy in the mornings and evenings. The heating is due to come on early/mid November. It is often warmer outside than inside. Luckily we have a blacony which with its large windows, acts as a greenhouse. Most of our meals are eaten here as we bask in the sun like lizards! On Monday eve Sabine went to bed early to do some school work with her thermals and a wooly hat!

This weekend we decided another bike ride was in order as the weather remains quite warm, so we headed east near the edge of the plateau. After winding our way through the countryside for an hour or two we heard live music and decided to investigate. Twenty minutes and some hard to understand explanations later we happened on a Chinese Muslim funeral. This wasn't obvious to start with as many of the mourners were dressed in white (which is normal here). Moments later we were invited in and given copious bowls of needles then treated to traditional music from 'the band'. After photos and some stunted conversation we headed off into the evening, which was fast becoming night. There was barely enought light for us to recall the way back but we made it to the throbbing metropolis of Xifeng.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb