Bangkok


Advertisement
Asia
October 26th 2009
Published: October 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

we're off!!!!we're off!!!!we're off!!!!

Heathrow Airport
Well we've arrived....at 3.30 pm yesterday we landed in Bangkok airport after the 11 hour flight from Heathrow. Although I had been worrying whether there would be free alcohol on the flight (which by the way there was!) I slept most of the way-something I don't usually tend to do. It is hard to put into words the feeling of walking out of the airport into the sweatbox that is Bangkok. The heat hits you as soon as you walk out of the air conditioned airport but luckily we managed to jump straight into a taxi/people carrier (5 people and 5 backpacks was a squeeze) and asked the driver to take us to the the Khao San Road so we could search for somewhere to stay. Our friend, Sean, had had recommended a place called D & D's and after 10 minutes in the taxi we pulled onto the hectic and busy Khao San Road, right outside D & D's-easy enough!

The hotel is really nice considering the picture I had in my head of the room in the film The Beach, the room has a small (very) balcony, shower/toilet/sink, a mirror (necessity) and a bed-what more do you need?
wet!wet!wet!

Th Rambuttri in the rain
The best thing about the hotel has to be roof top pool and we all appreciated the 'dip in the pool' after the long flight and our arrival in Bangkok.

Last night we headed on to the road for food and to find a bar so the lads could watch the Man U v Liverpool match -both of which we found. The food stalls are amazing-Pad Tai stalls every 5 minutes where they fry the noodles, prawns, chicken and eggs together in front of you and costs about 40 bhat (about a quid!) The bar tht we found had the football on big screens and what drew us into the place (apart from the football) was the 3 litre Chang towers which they place in the middle of your table and you pour yourself-brilliant! We were going to have one but ended up having three - the lads thought they'd be brave and take on a Thai guy at pool for money but all ended up getting robbed of 1000 bhat (between them) clearly playing pool for money after three towers of Chang isn't such a good idea!

When we arrived back at the hotel we went back
FishFishFish

The choice of fish was amazing at the one restaurant
for another 'dip in the pool' this time with a mohito in one hand! We both wokeup with a little hangover this morning but after some breakfast (which was eggs on toast, fruit and trance Bon Jovi in the background!) and a swim we feel much better.

We are planning on booking another couple of nights tomorrow at D & D's then heading down south on the night train (all aboard....) on Thursday we think.

Lots of Love Kieran & Kate xxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Fish food!Fish food!
Fish food!

Feeding the fish with our dead skin!


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb