The work has begun...


Advertisement
Asia
July 14th 2009
Published: July 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The build siteThe build siteThe build site

The site was prepared and cleared out in time for our arrival. A few jobs like the main beams were already done before we got there.
By Tegan...

We had our first visit to the build site yesterday and did a half day work. A little tiring and strenuous, more so than our usual occupations, but it was great to meet the father that we are building for and alot of the community.
We had a delicious dinner of Pho last night, but one of the ladies from US didn't want the beef so they gave her some chicken in the pot...however the chicken was complete, full head, head comb, legs and all - I don't think she coped too well with that at all!
There was a Cultural Exchange event last night and we were guests of honour. They had a presentation and also put on their performances of songs and the fan/gymnastics routine. I took part in some of the crazy dancing that was going on, it was a great night, alot of fun.
Today was our first full day at the site, it was a nice sunny morning so we were able to get alot done. The rain set in this afternoon though so that was a shame, we had to pack up about an hour earlier.

The people are wonderul and
Culture ExchangeCulture ExchangeCulture Exchange

This was a night put on by the local mayor and council. There were school kids involved and they welcomed us with songs and alot of dancing!
the kids so friendly. We got some great photos on C's camera of the kids and some of the locals, all so welcoming. They couldn't believe our ages (they thought we were alot younger than what we are - not older which is a nice change!)and they hold their age so well, C made friends with a 99 yo lady this afternoon who I would have guessed would have been no older than 70!

We have alot of work to do on this place so hopefully the rain holds out a little for us, apparently it tends to rain for about 2-3 mins then it stops so fingers crossed for that.

Over and out,
T xxx




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

DancersDancers
Dancers

These women were wonderful, they were the gymnastics club and they danced with their fans and snapped them out to make a beat, incredible and very entertaining, there were a few who forgot the steps so there was the occasional friendly jostle.
On the jobOn the job
On the job

Carinda and Rich mixing the mortar - this is a tough job. Mixing the sand, cement and the rocks can get heavy after a while, we used this for the main floor beams.
CarindaCarinda
Carinda

C is cracking the bricks in half here to make the smaller bits to put at the ends


Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb