once again in bangkok


Advertisement
Asia
June 3rd 2009
Published: June 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

so the world once again throws you troubles and you wonder how they will get easier! the re-evaluation of what is important gets thrown into view!

after spending a wonderful week in bali with steph, i assessed my funds and knew it would be tight. and i didnt realize how lonely i'd feel after leaving her. we went snorkeling and i faced a big fear of going underwater. she held my hand as we found nemo and angel fish, and so many different types of coral and plastic bags! after that we had a cheap romantic dinner by our guesthouse, met a kind german lady who was picking her boyfriend up from the airport and then we all headed into town to play pool! word of the wise...balinese people do not know left from right!

up early and we embark on our next adventure that we treated ourselves to!!! let me add here that steph is a mean bargainer!! yesterdays adventure or snorkeling, turtle island and turtle island animal park (where we held turtles - big and small - birds, lizards and really random animals, should have costed 200,000rp (20dollars), we got it for 100,000!! so our next adventure (supposed to be 350,000 but we got it for 250,000) was downhill biking! we got driven to a coffee plantation, had beautiful tea and coffee samples, then driven to the top of a volcano, had breakfast (banana fritters), then cycled down the volcano stopping at a local village to see their family temple, saw how wood carvings were made, zoomed past rice paddies and then had a three course lunch at the most wonderful restuarant! me and steph got dropped off in ubud and found a gorgeous bungalow to stay at then went sarong shopping! after walking around we had a nice beer at an indian place, played cards with a random guy in a yoga tea house (where we were meant to meet the german lady who didnt show) and then went to bed!! omg the breakfast at the bungalow was amazing!!! egg, toast, pancakes, cinnamon toast!! free tea and coffee all day!!! so after breakfast we hired a motorbike and drove to the hot springs! it then became a holiday of heartache but still laughter! we got stopped by the police (we sweet talked our way out), found the hot springs to be extortionate to get into so we opted for the donation ones, which were no more than a local balinese hot bathroom (and so much rubbish on the rocks)!! my beautiful camera suffered a devastating blow and no longer works (almost cried) but the stephs camera erased three months worth of pictures for no reason (i cant believe she didnt cry!!) so no evidence of holding turtles or snorkeling, but we know it happened!!! 😊 and then we went the mother temple which was so interesting!! we sneaked into sections and talked to local people, had lunch on the mountain, but then sheltered again the rain and the incessant umbrella sellers!!!!! by the end, we were in stitches asking he locals "where you form" "umbrella lady???" i will miss steph so much!!! we headed back for a cheap dinner and beer to drown our sorrows of some of the day and then like an old married couple we read on our terrace (which overlooked a tomb and beautiful red plants) then went to bed and read some more!!

the morning came and we had a huge breakfast of everything on the menu!!! and then ditched the plans of cycling in favour of walking! after hitting the market to buy a few things for steph's family, we went to the monkey forest where steph made many new friends 😊 omg there was the tinyest monkey ever!!! it was gorgeous!!! one of them ran off with my mosquito spray and i chased it round a temple!!! we wandered around and then had a fruit shake before continuing towards a restaurant for lunch!! after lunch i had a hair brain scheme of lets go to a botanical garden cause that wont be too expensive! 2km later and it was 5dollars to get in...we were not paying, so we sat in the reception, saw some flowers and then went north to a small village with huge villas and then another one full of rice paddies!! it was one of te most beautiful walks i have ever been on! and we ended up back at our guesthouse, had an after sleep and then went to dinner! it was the best food i have had in ages! it was by candlelight as all the power went out!! i think i licked the plate clean!!! after dinner we went for a walk and decided to try for a massage even in the dark! after heading somewhere recommended, like fate the power came back on and i enjoyed my first ever massage!!! 😊 it was perfect! walking back arm in arm we talked about when id see her in aus and when she was coming to england!!! the night ended once again reading in bed and i left her this morning after another epic breakfast!! i boarded the bus to the airport as she carried on north for a few days in lovina! looking forward to the stories! i miss her already!

i hate departure tax!! i had to pay 15dollars to leave and they wouldnt take card! i had to leave the airport, get screwed over by an ATM which made me take out lots more because it would only give 100,000 notes and then go through security again! i stubbornly buy an expensive lunch with my rupees left over from the stupid cash machine... with little thought to the money that i might need later :S i arrive safe at the airport in bangkok, get my luggage and head towards the ATM...to be told that my debit card doesnt work (i think because i went to bali on a whim and didnt inform HSBC who have blocked my card! and i think i may have over indulged in bali!) so stood there with no money, i eventually concede and draw out money on my credit card....eeeep!!!! and find a bus with fellow travellers. i already have a place booked but to get there i must follow a treasure map which starts from ko san road (the notorious backpacker street!) Eventually after a shuttlebus, squshied next to locals and then an hours drive, we bundle off the local bus and orientate ourselves towards ko san!!! i leave the 3 Canadians and i walk on alone, once again chasing daylight as i cross towards the way i am being directed by the internet directions! 45 minutes later te sun has set and i am walking through a little alley, past a ring set up for thai boxing and then past two hungry looking dogs. a thai lady scares them away for me and the corner is turned into my guesthouse. it is beautiful, albeit basic for the amount of money i am paying! i think i get the luxury of local art work of the walls (oh which i can buy if i want!! :S) no included breakfast but the view from my room is stunning.

so as i sit here now swatting moquitos and watching the cars pass over the beautiful rama 8 bridge, all lit up like something i'd imagine to find in San Fransisco and the waves gently pushing under its steady stream of traffic, i thank my lucky stars that i have once again arrived in one piece. money is important but it should not control every aspect of the adventure. i will go sightseeing (camera-less) tomorrow and then go for dinner tomorrow night with some lovely people i met on the bus. another word of advice...the taxis from the airport cost 500baht, aerobus to koh san road was 150 baht, but the local bus to ko san road was only 33 baht! 😊 when you have no money, it is a pretty good way to go! haha and you have to laugh when you realise that you do not have money really for laundry and i'm wondering how many days i have to last :S
i am looking forward to home now, i do feel alone again and ready to move on with my life, but money is so important to do that. to go back to school, to move out, to enjoy meeting up with friends for dinner, to go back to cambodia and off to aus, they all cost money!! i just need to remember that now everything has a price, most things, but after living on such a tight budget (blowing it slightly) does not detract from this life changing experience i am finally able to reflect on! as i now count down towards my flight home i know what i would change, i know what i wouldnt and i know what i am thankful for and how far i have come and changed from the girl who started out 5 and a bit months ago!!!

my map and tea is next to me and so tomorrow will be another adventure (with 50 new mozzie bites hehe!!!)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb