Ponyo on a Cliff by the Sea


Advertisement
Asia
October 17th 2008
Published: November 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ponyo on a Cliff by the Sea,the latest movie by Hiyao Miyazaki, is the newest sensation with the 1-5 set here in Tokyo. The animation is very simple and seems to revolve around a little boy finding and befriending a mutant saltwater tadpole boy he meets near the sea. Everyone seems to ostracize poor Ponyo (the boy? the tadpole?) but yet, they’re off on a grand marine adventure all the same. At the Ghibli Museum, Miyazaki’s tribute to animation, childhood and the imagination, a narrow, dimmed corridor is dedicated to coming attractions. Here, a trio of miniature girls who hardly looked old enough to speak were bouncing off each other, thrilled for Ponyo and singing the entire song. It’s an infectious little number even if you only know “ Ponyo, Ponyo, hmmmmhmmmhmhmhm! Ponyo, Ponyo, gajfjf dkdddjjjjfds!” This morning, we lay in bed listening to the waves of children’s voices wafting from the preschool that sits just below Motoazabu Hills, where we’re staying. Is that… ? Of course it is. We love you, Ponyo!

Advertisement



7th November 2008

Miyazaki
Simple animation or not, Miyazaki is a master. My family is addicted. Not only have we seen them all (once translated - subtitles too hard for my littlest one), but we also have a collection of the scores on CD which my son goes to sleep to. We all hum the tunes! Thannks for the head's up on the newest title!

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb