Roof top of the world


Advertisement
Asia
December 8th 2006
Published: December 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We left Zhongdian around a week and a half ago, we took a couragous trip to Chengdu and it's couragous, because it's like the routh not travelled, or something like that. Of course we didn't know it, but whatever.

The trip was divided into 3 days- the first we went to a small town called Xiancheng and it was really nothing there, not even an ATM. It took us 10 hours to get there. The way was amazing as always and the scenary was not to be believed. Again, it was a smokers bus, but we got used to it already. Can't educate a billion people, right?!?!?!?

The next morning, we took a bus at 6 going to Litang, when we arrived, we decided it's really not what we're looking for and stayed on the bus, another couragous move, thanks to langauage barriers we managed even to get away with it. Luckily. So instead of leaving the bus after 5 hours in Litang, we got off after 14 hours in Kanding, another town with not much, but luckily we could get some money there, as there was an ATM. The way was again out of this world and we reached peaks of over 6000 meters, which was just amazing views.

The Third day, we went on this luxurious bus to Chengdu, it's the capital of the Sichuan province. It's a big city with a population of over 4 million. We wondered around the city and went to different temples and monastries and we had a nice time, not amazing though. We were stuck there, as we waited for our flight to Lhasa, Tibet and spent there a week.

One day we went to a city called Leshan, where sits the highest buddha in the world- 71 meters high. It was really something to see, it's so impressive. Then there's as well the longest buddha in the world, in the middle of rocks and trees- 170 meters long. Crazy. Now all this was inside this big park, that included a buddha park and caves full of Buddha carvings and sculptures. Was really great. Other than this was nothing to see in the city so we went back the same day.

One day we went to see the Giant Panda Research Center, it was interesting to see them (eating mostly) and we could see them in all sizes and ages and it was nice.

Then, yesterday, we took a flight to Lhasa. We wondered the city a bit and went today to see the Potala Palace- the former government seat of Dalai Lama and where there are a few tombs of the older Dalai Lamas. Then we went the Jokhang Temple, which was nice for itself but as well gave us great views for the city and the area. It was so interesting to see and the places are really impressive. The colours and the architecture are just out of this world.

Now we're looking into making our way to Kathmandu, Nepal. We'll see how we manage this, but tomorrow or the day fater we're supposed to leave.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0643s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb