Good Morning vietnam


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam
October 15th 2011
Published: October 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

On Wednesday 12th October we left Nanning and arrived 7 hours later in Hanoi Vietnam via the friendship land border crossing point. The border crossing went smoothly and we even managed to get a free lunch which was most unexpected.

The streets of China were always busy but having now come to Vietnam they now seem quiet in comparison. The traffic is non stop with cars taxis and bikes and the unforgettable sound of the horn at any chance possible! We have been using the recommendations made in the Lonely planet for places to eat and so far we have both been very impressed. Food is very good and pretty cheap too which is a bonus. Several days were spent walking and cycling around the busy city to various markets, the site of the B-52 bomber which was shot down and the prisons used during the various wars the Vietnamese fought over the last 1000 years.

On Friday the 21st we went on an organised tour to Halong bay. The first day involved boarding a junk boat and sailing out to the islands where we kayaked, jumped from the boat and all got very drunk in the evening. Day 2 we changed onto a smaller boat and made our way to Castaway island for more kayaking, swimming, beach sports and rock climbing. Castaway island is a private beach hidden away from all tourists so made for an amazing setting especially as we spent the night in a wooden shack right on the beach front. People on the trip were all good fun which helped to make our visit to Halong Bay a great experience.

Back from Halong bay we spent another couple of days in Hanoi and tomorrow will be heading down south to Mai Chau en-route to Phong Nha to see the largest caves in Asia.

Tom

Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb