Ho Chi Minh City 13th - 15th October


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam
October 13th 2010
Published: November 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Chu Chi TunnelsChu Chi TunnelsChu Chi Tunnels

A square for midgets
Hoe Chi Min City or Saigon? A town full of history and scooters. Many locals refer to HCMC still as Saigon, which is the former capital of South Vietnam. It’s almost a must to visit the Reunification Palace and the War remnant museum. Occasionally the palace is used for official purposes but otherwise open to the public. The palace has everything from lavishly decorated reception halls to private cinema. The president himself loved to dance and a game, so he had his own play room with a private bar and band to entertain his guests.
The war remnants museum was packed with weapons and pictures of victims depicting the awful results of the war in general and in particular the effect of American chemical bombs. You do feel a hint of Anti-Americanism especially when visiting the Chu Chi Tunnels. Our guide kept on making jokes about Americans in claiming that ‘the big fat American’ could have never won the war. The guide seemed also very happy about the fact that the Vietnamese are the only nation who has ever won a war against America.
How on earth the Viet Cong lived in those tunnels for such a long time is a puzzle to me. I almost didn’t fit into it. They cooked, slept and had even families down there for years and years. Most amazing, obviously, was the fact that they even had a ‘love-making’ room shaped as a triangle in the lowest level.
Anyone going to Saigon should definitely visit the Sheraton for sunset. I just love how cities transform from daytime to night-time. The view up there was gorgeous and the cocktails too. Although it’s a little expensive for budget travellers!

Now motorbikes! Seems like Honda and Yamaha can only make a profit in this city by selling different designs! There are so many of them everywhere you go. Crossing the street is quite a challenge. I figured that it’s a confidence fight between the pedestrian and the driver. Don’t look, just walk, but slowly! That seemed to work as all the scooters would drive around me. Good luck!

Eating as the locals do meant eating at street stands instead of restaurants. For as little as one dollar I would get a Pho Soup served with lots of green leaves as side dish, chillies and lime. So Yummy! Sitting on low chairs (almost on the ground) and low table enjoying a Pho Soup and watching the traffic is definitely an experience everyone should aim to have in Vietnam.


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Chu Chi TunnelsChu Chi Tunnels
Chu Chi Tunnels

Trap for 'big fat americans' (quote by our guide)


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb