Vietnam - 01/11/2008


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam
December 7th 2008
Published: January 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Vietnam



Despite the passport issue I left Cambodia and got into Vietnam without a problem mainly thanks to the tour guide.

First stop was Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) which is the most liveliest place in Vietnam. The first thing that hits you is the number of motorbikes in the city there are literally thousands and thousands of them. This makes crossing the road an interesting prospect and you have to find a small space and then launch yourself across the road, keep going and hope for the best. If you stop you become an island in a mass of motorbikes!! During the tour we witnessed a number of motorbike accidents, most people were ok but a few were more seriously hurt which put me off renting one myself.

There is also nothing that cannot be carried on a motorbike including carpets, wood planks, whole families but the most impressive was large panes of glass!!

One of the main sites to visit in Saigon is the War Remnants Museum which contains various planes, tanks and artillery used by the US against the Vietnamese. One of the most poignant areas was dedicated to the photographers that catalogued the people and major events from the war. One of the key ones was a photograph taken by a journalist just before he was hit by a landmine and his camera still survived. There were also various photographs of atrocities commited during the war including the effects of napalm and chemical weapons.

Also spent time at the Reunification palace where the North Vietnamese troops broke down the gate with a tank and finally took over the city.

A half day was spent at the Cu Chi tunnels. First there was a black and white (slightly biased) film depicting how the Vietnamese lived and survived in the tunnels and how they became a key part in them finally defeating a superior army. There was a chance to go down a tunnel which had been specially widened for overweight western tourists.

Other stops in Vietnam included Nha Trang for a couple of days taking it easy on the beach and then onto Hoi An.

In Hue there was an opportunity to go out on a motorbike tour of the town but due to insurance and probably the reason above, everyone was given a dedicated driver. But it was still exhilarating being driven at speed, through the back streets, through the countryside and paddy fields. Sites visited included seeing incense sticks and conical hats being made, the 7th tiered pagoda, Tu Duc Tomb, US look out over the perfume river and a stop at the Amphitheatre where elephants and tigers were made to fight for the emperor. (The elephants normally won!)

After travelling up to Hanoi and a brief stopover the trip continued up to Halong Bay which was easily had the best scenery in Vietnam. We took a boat trip around the many island with the boat stopping on route to visit some of the caves. After a very good lunch we set out following the guide in some Kayaks to get a closer look at the 'bay'. After a confused conversation with the guide two members of group who were inexperienced Kayakers were left to find their own way back to the boat. They ended up getting lost and a local boat picked them up only to charge them an exorbitant 'ransom' to drop them back. A rough ending to an otherwise great day.

The final destination was back to Hanoi where a few of us decided to go to Cuc Phuong National Park
to do a jungle trek and visit the Primate Conservation Centre.




Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.196s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0975s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb