Insert Cliche Film Quote Here


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam
November 14th 2006
Published: November 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

so we made it to vietnam in one piece, well just about. we took a 22 hour bus ride from vientiane in laos to hue in vietnam. we really were dreading this journey and it didnt help when we witnessed a horrible motorbike crash on our way to the bus station which made sam and i both a little shaken. before we could even step out of the mini bus we got herded on to our supposidly vip bus which was already full of locals, ten tons of rice and no air con. we had heard stories about the buses being rubbish and these rumours were very true but luckily we were early and got some seats at the back with extra leg room. the bus set off at about 7pm but stopped within an hour so that all the local people could get a huge slap up meal at a restuarant along the way, we have found all the buses seem to include this type of grub stop. we got going again after about 45 minutes but made several stops along the way i am not sure if the bus broke down but there was certainly something dodgy going on with people underneath and on top of the bus. they had put all the white people at the back of the bus so what else did we have to do but hatch horrible images of them trying to smuggle stuff in our bags. we stopped again at about 1am we thought that we were at the border but no such luck this was so that people could get some sleep on the bus. we really had no clue what was happening as no one seems to inform anyone why we were stopping, like it is just common knowledge that this is part and parcel of catching a bus. so we tried to find what ever possible way to get comfy on the bus and catch some shut eye. at 6am the bus started again and didnt stop until we actually reached the border, getting out of laos and into vietnam was not the easiest of border crossings. people just push and shove their way at the counters hopping and skipping about until their passport is given back. once we had been charged a couple of dollars just to receive a form and to have our passport checked (they do love the hidden bribery fees) we made our way to another bus which took us to Hue. four hours later all was going well until the guy on the bus made us get our bags from the back of the bus whilst it was still moving wondering why he was doing this as we were still on a main road and not near a bus station he proceeded to chuck our bags and us off the bus whilst it was still going along, he just shouted to us 'motorbike take you to centre' and the bus sped away. sam and i were very confused as we had no idea where the hell we were and the only people around were two guys and their motorbikes. they kept saying they would take us to the centre of hue and that it was 17km after contemplating walking as we only had about $5 between us the guys on the motorbikes won the battle and we hopped on. they held our huge rucksacks on at the front with them between their legs and we clung on for dear life at the back. all i had was images of the crash we had seen only the day before in laos and hoping nothing would happen to sam as she was behind me and with her run of bad luck it didnt bode well. i thought the way people drove and used the roads in malaysia, thailand and laos was bloody bad but vietnam takes the biscuit they have no rules of the road and it scared the hell out of me. we pulled up finally after 10 minutes so releaved only to find out sam had burnt her leg on the exhaust of the bike that she was on, she really does not have the best of luck. we found a cheap but nice hotel and tried to relax to get over our journey from hell.

we only stayed in hue for one day we visited the citadel and forbidden purple city it was cool but would be better if they had signs telling us what it was all about. we then had lunch and a stroll along the river, we got harrassed along the way by lots of people about river cruises which we decided to do as we had to fill in some time. they said it would take two hours and we would visit a pagoda. we were the only people on the boat apart from the family who obviously lived on it. the girls sat us down and put a table in front of us so they could try and flog us lots of stuff. after alot of persistance and we had bought a couple of postcards they started to eye us up for our valuables and ask us how much everything cost. it was slightly scary and arkward and sam and i couldnt wait to get off the damn boat. the pagoda was cool and we made it back to shore safely.

hoi an was only a five hour bus journey from hue, the bus was really plush and the journey was actually quite pleasant as the countryside in vietnam is goregous. there is always some sort of scam or something to dappen the journey though as we made our way into the city a man jumped on the bus and started yelling at the top of his voice about us finding a hotel to stay at and that he would drive us to them all individually starting with the first request. sam and i took the easy option and just got off at the first stop and found our own cheap and cheerful hotel.

hoi an is a breath of fresh air compared to hue it has restored my faith in vietnam. there is less hussle and bussle and is actually very pretty with gorgeous colonial buildings. hoi an has over 200 tailors and every street you walk down there are shops filled with material ready to make you clothes. sam and i were sucked in straight away and before we could say no were measured for some new slacks which would be ready the following day. it is so hard to not go into the shops and order things we were like kids in a sweetie shop. i have had a blue cord duffle jacket made with blue silk lining a black puff ball skirt a pair of roman sandles and a pair of jeans. sam has had two pairs of trousers a beautiful spotty dress a skirt and two pairs of pumps. we have had to stop im really worried i wont get my bag done up as i already have to sit on it to zip it up. whilst we waited to collect our clothes we hired a bicycle each and rode to the beach. it is a lovely long white sand beach but the sea is very rough with huge waves good for surfers. i attempted to go in but after being sucked under a few times and nearly losing parts of my bikini i gave up. sam was the proper goth on holiday and sat fully clothed under the brolly the whole time. the only problem with the beach is the constant pestering from people trying to sell you stuff and they really dont give up. we had a fish lunch on the beach sam had crab which i think has poisoned her on her birthday of all days. so bless her she is sick in bed today when we had planned to have massages and a day of pampering we will have to do it when she feels better.

next stop is mui ne a peaceful beach location and hopefully another lovely bungalow to relax in for the next few days.

again i am having problems with my camera i really dont know what i have done to it but since chang mai i have real problems getting photos from it to the computer. i will try at another computer and in mui ne and hopefully post photos so far from vietnam.

Advertisement



17th November 2006

alright slaaags
nice to hear it's all going well. currently i am looking in to a brief jaunt to denmark, as i am bored and want to travel again. really hope i can go back to work at nationwide soon! anyway, have lots of fun. can't believe you're gone for two years! bloody hell. it is the wettest, windiest day ever here in brighton, so be thankful you are doing something exciting!

Tot: 0.411s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0791s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb