Into the headwind on the Vietnamese coast


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast
February 26th 2012
Published: March 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Vung Tau to Binh Chau

We whizzed out of Vung Tau on a very smart dual carriageway lined with flowers and trees. Leaving the wealth of Vung Tau behind we stopped in a rather smelly village by an estuary for cake and baguettes. The road became a quiet coastal road which reminded us of France: with pine trees and sandy beaches. The sea gradually became bluer as we ventured along. We passed through a seaside town (Long Hai) where the locals were enjoying the seaside town, with food stalls and inflatables for the sea. The Vietnamese seem to love frolicking in the sea.

We stopped at a quiet beach for our baguettes and a dip in the sea. I had a little snooze in my deck chair and then on we went. The road passed huge marked out plots of land with either: a billboard with an artists impression of a fancy resort to come or a resort under-construction. Resorts in existence were either virtually empty or closed down. It was all very strange.

Someone later suggested to us that a lot of Russian laundered money might be behind the bizzarre situation. I thought perhaps they are anticipating the emerging middle-class in Vietnam and China? Either way no-one could offer us a room under $30 and there were no guest-houses so we kept cycling until we reached Binh Chau. We found a reasonable room for $10, grabbed some Pho Bo (Beef noodle soup) and a fruit shake then headed to bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb