Saigon


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
November 30th 2009
Published: December 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Notre DameNotre DameNotre Dame

A copy of the famous cathedral in Ho Chi Minh City
DAY 33
We woke fairly early and went downstairs to a little courtyard and had breakfast, which was included in our room and talked about what we should do in Saigon, as the locals still call it. We decided upon taking a walk around the city although there is not a huge amount of things to see and do. It was strange being back in a large city again after spending so long in Sihanoukville; everything was very loud and fast paced. The traffic was amusing to watch as it is just a mess of bikes, scooters and the occasional four wheel drive car fighting its way through with its louder more intrusive horn. However, it was not as bad as we were expecting and partly due to a month in Asia we were already becoming far to use to the way of the traffic. In some ways the drivers here are a great deal more alert and conscious of what is around them and crossing the road on a pedestrian crossing is simple so long as you don’t run or stop where they are not expecting it. We walked to Notre Dame, sounds an impressive walk but actually only to the replica the French built here in colonial times. In the evening we went out for dinner and a few drinks. One of the best things to do in Saigon is just sit on a corner and people watch. We watched vendors peddling a wide variety of things from dried squid to a weight and height machine on wheels, bizarre?! After trying a fair few cocktails on their extensive menus we headed back to the hostel.

DAY 34-35
We had only booked with our hostel for 2 nights and didn’t think it would be a problem extending our stay, unfortunately they were full. Victoria managed to find us another room in a guesthouse opposite and move our entire luggage up 3 flights of stairs for us as I had come down with another stomach bug and had a fever as well. I won’t write much about the next couple of days as there is not much I can remember other than having to leave after 2 nights and making a snap decision to go to Nha Trang.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb