Arrival


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
February 2nd 2005
Published: February 2nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Had the most quintesential Aussie send off in Syndey - 4 essential ingredients: people, beach, booze and nudity (no not mine).

I was prepared for Vietnam to be quite terrifying first couple of days (particularly as i have arrived on the days preceding the BIGGEST event of the Vietnamese calendar 'tet' aka NYE celebrations).... but (while somewhat daunting) the pace and filth of HCMC failed to raise my stress levels.... This has lead me to realised that sitting on a beach for the next 3 weeks may actually be what the doctor requires.

Have booked into actual hotel for the evening, to lighten the load as i haven't properly slept since the 6 hrs in Sydney and any further pressure may turn me from content to freaked-out.

Have intentions to either get the train tickets sorted or to hook up with good tour guide tomorrow and hit the road to Hoi An for a couple of days, then on to Hanoi and Halong Bay.

There aren't that many Aussies here, even more noticeable is the lack of gals like moi. But the locals, for the most part, are truely lovely people and have helped me greatly despite significant language barriers at times.

One man gave me a ride on his bike across town for free so i could get a sim card, another (who i was sitting next to on the plane from BKK-HCMC) offered to help me get accom and train tickets which he claimed were difficult to get due to tet festival - my 6th sense told me to loose him at the last min. so i lost him as we were leaving the airport.

Am looking forward to a few things:
Heading North where the scenery is better and the pace a little slower;
thailand;
getting on to a tour to meet some people;
and
catching up with DJ the Irishman who i sat next to from SYD - BKK.

I need an english speaking companion at some point within the next week or i may start talking to myself.

I have now got phone numbers:
Vietnam* - 0909835902 (until 10 feb)
Thailand* - 069733049 (from 10 feb - 28 Feb)

*** not sure what the prefix - it'll be in the phone book (think you need to drop the 0***

Still have neglected to pull out the camera but when there's something worth shooting ill be sure to snap it and put it up.

Well i am off to do some serious trip planning....


Thanks for reading

Luv Z

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb