Cool Highlands to Hot and Steamy Saigon


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
February 26th 2009
Published: February 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our 8:45am flight eliminated our breakfast so Roger procured individual french loaves from the bakery down the street. We hopped on to our turbo prop plane and 45 minutes later (instead of a 10 hour bus ride) we arrived at Saigon (HCMC) to a wall of heat and humidity. The guys were keen to see the Chu Chi Tunnels and the girls, not so much. These tunnels were used in the Vietnam war by the Viet Cong. The highlight of the tour was when Bill purchased 20 rounds of ammunition for us to shoot an AK47 - What a blast!
The girls opted for a short hot shopping trip in the market, and then on to a museum where we saw a mummy and a huge stone carving, where people prayed for fertility, that dated back to the first century. After an iced coffee break, we went to the Saigon zoo and fed carrots to the elephants. Yipee!! The evening brought us to an authentic Vietnamese dinner ordered through Linh, and was absolutely delicious. It was a restaurant known for their dish of special rice baked in clay pots. The pots were broken off the hot disk of rice then the rice disc was thrown across the room to another waiter who would catch it on a plate. There were a few misses. It was quite entertaining.
Thursday morning we were in a private car heading to Bill and Linh's house in Vung Tau. The house is great, what luxury. Bill and Linh surprised us by organizing a motorbike tour around the city. The almost lost motorbike skills came back to the old boys pretty quick. The girls hung on for dear life. We are looking forward to a great meal at Bill's favorite Italian restaurant tonight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Tourist Sniper At the RangeTourist Sniper At the Range
Tourist Sniper At the Range

and I don't mean golf


Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0216s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb