Tears and Joy in Saigon


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
December 28th 2005
Published: December 28th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Saigon is completely different from the rest of Vietnam. It is cosmopolitan and modern, whilst the rest is playing a rapid game of catch up. The pubs and restaraunts are busy pumping out Razorlight and other Indie hits, whilst old western blokes enjoy a beer with their pretty young Vietnamese "girlfriends". You can buy anything you want here it seems, drugs, sex and booze are openly offered in the area we stay.

In Saigon christmas is a big celebration and an excuse to party. I celebrated by getting engaged to my girlfirend Leanne! It was a nervous moment but i summoned up the courage to ask her and it put the seal on lovely xmas day.

In contrast to our happiness on xmas i felt a great sorrow after visiting the War Remnants Museum. Here is a slightly one sided depiction of the horror of the Vietnam, or American War as it is called here. Stories of massacres of children committed by US soldiers shocked me. The sight of two deformed fetoses in formaldehyde Jars, victims of the US's use of Toxins in the war, almost made me vomit. Photos explained the horror of war in ways in which the word cannot describe.
One US war veteran had donated his war medals to the museum with a message attached: " To the people of Vietnam, I was wrong, I am sorry."
I was moved to tears.

Tomorrow we depart for Cambodia. Goodbye lovely Vietnam, Thanks for your hospitality, warmth and kidness of your people. I will never forget your story..


Advertisement



Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 66; dbt: 0.1177s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb