A long journey home and washing clothes on a plane


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City » District 1
February 27th 2012
Published: March 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
We awoke to our alarm at around 6 am and wearily got out of bed knowing we would be traveling for the next 24 hours with 3 different flights.

The first flight was a domestic flight between Da Nang and Ho Chi Minh. With 4 hours before our next flight to Singapore and some extra Dong in our pockets, we wandered around the streets of Ho Chi Minh surrounding the airport. This is a further advantage to travelling so light. You don't need to find lockers or leave your luggage at a cafe, trusting it will be secure. You can take everything with you and you can change plans without having to backtrack to pick up your gear.

After a further stopover in Singapore, which was lengthened by a plane delay, we were on our final flight home. One of the last things anyone ever wants to do when they get home from overseas is wash their travel clothes, so we decided we would come back clean. Off to the toilet to join the Mile High Scrubba Club. For the purposes of the Scrubba wash bag, the toilet actually had plenty of room and surfaces to use (change tables are really handy). The only limitations are the flow rate of the tap and the lack of space for a cameraman. Needless to say, the Scrubba wash bag is probably the leading washing machine at 30,000 feet above sealevel (the only real competition may be from Air Force One, I'm sure they must have a laundry on board too). A very rough video of washing our clothes on the plane is attached.

Returning to our seats, we carefully hung our clothes on the seat in front, careful not to disturb the passenger and settled in for as good a sleep as you can get on a plane.

We undertook the challenge and succeeded! We enjoyed and embraced new places and cultures having traveled to 4 countries in 3 weeks with less than 3 kgs of luggage each! We travelled clean, light and free!

To tell the truth, there were days when our clothes were probably still clean and smelling good enough to rewear but we washed them out of habit because it required next to no effort. It's going be weird suddenly having a wardrobe full of clothing options. Almost seems a little unnecessary.

The Scrubba wash bags we were travelling with were early prototypes, but each held up well to daily use. The Scrubba wash bag is available for preorder at http://igg.me/p/54387?a=337562, with an official release date expected in April 2012. You can also follow the Scrubba wash bag at http://www.facebook.com/THESCRUBBA.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb