Absence makes the heart grow fonder


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City » District 1
July 13th 2011
Published: July 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I have definitely been absent from travel blogging for FAR too long! But since being on my own it's actually hard to be on your own and have time to do stuff. I have a rather blank diary for the last week or 2. Some shoddy bullet pointed entries and quite a lot to write.

I leave Vietnam tomorrow for Cambodia, first country completed travelling solo!! So far it's been cool, to all those that said it's hard- they're right, it is. Sometimes a little too hard to consider I still need to get myself to Beijing, but looking back now I have just done a whole country on my own. Cambodia and China to do and about 5 weeks (less than really) to do it.

It's been amazing, after leaving Laos in torrential tropical storm rains and doing the bus journey/ border crossing of nightmares I got to Hanoi, in a tropical storm. Wellies were needed to wade across the lake that was the car park of the bus depot...

Hanoi- incredible place, the old district is how I imagined most S.E Asian cities would be, little streets, more motorbikes than you could ever ever think to count, busy, streets of clothing shops, toys, BBQ'd dogs (that image will forever haunt me) and my favourite the tinsel, latern and kite street... just shops filled with those things! Hanoi backpackers was the place to be as a backpacker, water puppets, giant jenga, more rain, coffee shops, getting lost and watching traffic near misses were all on the agenda here.

Hill trekking in Sapa- local tribeswomen attach themselves to you on leaving the bus. Tiny tiny women who are almost definitely part mountain goat take you off into the stunning countryside!! Truely beautiful! Homestay was so much fun, even though we trekked in the rain the family were so worth it. Amazing food, great company and too much rice wine!

Halong Bay- just incredible and SUNNY!!! Boats and sunshine and amazing postcard views, what more do you need!

Hoi An- where beer is 10p and they let you make your own shoes and clothes... the only way it could have got better is if they gave out free ponies with the beer! Very cute town, got amazing shoes and trousers made, had a lot of fun, but at this point the "2 weeks to do Vietnam" was up and I needed to move on.

Nha Trang- party town, went diving very hungover, met some wicked people, beach was amazing just perfect for a few days before the chaos and wonder that is Siagon!

Siagon is incredible, the traffic is UNREAL, there are no words to really describe how crazy it is. Shutting your eyes and crossing the road is the best way. Never been offered so much stuff- "you wan' buy sunglasses... 3 for 50,000", "you buy book from meee", "you wan' motorbike?" crazy but the people are nice and the beer is still cheap. Need to go get my standard traveller vest for Vietnam before tomorrow!

Vietnam has been crazy, the 2 1/2 weeks here have flown by. The people I've travelled with have been awesome, the buses have often been a nightmare, but I have loved sleeper buses over seats!

Good night Vietnam 😊

Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb