What about ye Vietnam


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City » District 1
February 13th 2011
Published: February 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Leaving Phnom Phen (was a bit of a struggle as Carl had came down with what is known as The Backpacker Bug. However we stocked up with Imodium) we set sail upon our little cruise boat that would take us down the Mekong River and into Vietnam. It was a great alternative and far more enjoyable than taking any bus journey. Before we reached the border we were able to stop off at a little island village, meet some of the locals and try some local food. After an hour at border control we set sail again on the Vietnamese side of the river until we reached the first destination in Vietnam called Chau Doc.

Vietnam is frantic it never slows down and even in the small port of Chau Doc we where taken aback by the pace of it. After one night and a look around the town market we decided to make our way to Saigon (also known as Ho Chi Mihn City).

After a short 8 hour bus journey we arrived in Saigon at tea time, got ourselves a room and decided to hit the town and investigate the place. It didn't take long for us to realise that we would enjoy this city. We relaxed outside a restaurant, got some grub, a beer and people watched for ages!

We decided on a trip to the Cu Chi Tunnels. This is where the Vietcong rebels made a large network of underground tunnels to hide during combat and used to live in while fighting with the US army. The tunnels and also their specially made shoes made of rubber tyres which you could turn from back to front, outsmarted the yanks as they could never tell which direction the footprint had gone. With the tunnels being built by the small Vietnamese, it was a bigger advantage as the American would have found it hard to fit, though Carl managed to get through lol.

After the Cu Chi tunnels we visited the War Museum were we got to see the tanks, the weapons used and also learnt about the dreadful effects of Agent Orange which is sadly still continuing today.

After the hussle and bussle of the big city we headed again to the beach port of Mui Ne on the south east coast of Vietnam.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0591s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb