CU CHI


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City » Cu Chi
April 18th 2008
Published: April 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hidden TunnelsHidden TunnelsHidden Tunnels

The terrain at Cu Chi was forested with plenty of leaves, branches, etc. Very difficult to find a tunnel opening.
The Cu Chi tunnel system is about 30km south of HCMC in the district of Cu Chi. This underground system of tunnels and rooms allowed the Viet Cong control over much of the area; within this one district an estimated 200 kilometers of tunnels provided security, of sorts, to the Viet Cong. The system included: hospitals, mess facilities, sleeping quarters and various other places from which the VC could continue operations against the American forces, including infiltrating Saigon.

The entrance to the tunnel system might be a simple hole in the ground with leaves scattered over the top, almost impossible to find. American forces attempted to infiltrate the system using dogs and other means e.g. burning the forest down and searching for footprints in the ashes. Infiltrating the tunnels resulted in high casualties due to various booby traps placed by the VC.

During our tour from HCMC we visited the Cu Chi system, climbing down into the tunnels which had been widened somewhat for us, let's just say, bigger foreigners. As part of the tour we were presented with the opportunity to fire various weapons used by the VC and the US forces.

Immature probably, and definitely politically
Ouch!Ouch!Ouch!

Just one of the devices awaiting the US forces in the Cu Chi area. This ball would be swung down at the appropriate time.
incorrect, especially the targets that had been replaced by cutouts of various animals including bunnies! But a blast nonetheless.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

A BlastA Blast
A Blast

This is an M60 used in US forces helicopters during the war.
BunnyBunny
Bunny

To all those fellow animal lovers out there I just want you to know I missed.


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb