Settling in....


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
January 25th 2017
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

2017-06-26 11.55.152017-06-26 11.55.152017-06-26 11.55.15

Our "Mathilda". Not the flashest of machines - but gets us around. Yamaha Nouvo 110cc automatic
You do need to have transportation (other than Shanks' Pony) when you are living here. Whilst many places are walkable - in the cooler period over TET it's OK - but not so comfortable during the summer months. Last year when we were here - we bought a Yamaha scooter in partnership with local friend Minh. The deal is that we use it when we are here, and when we are "gone" - he can rent it out to guests staying at the nearby villa where he works.

Using the bike - I return to Ba Le market - the local one just a couple of minutes ride from the unit - to re-aquaint with friends and market merchants we used on previous visits. The bike will come in handy to go to Da Nang (where there is the closest large supermarkets like Big C, Lotte, Metro etc), and to visit the nearby beaches of Cua Dai and An Bang. Bikes (or xe om) are the preferred form of transport for the locals. Cars are expensive and "gas guzzlers" and not as convenient as the "xe om". Some families have bikes that I am sure were in use during the period when I was first in VN in the 60's!!!! They just seem to run and run and run. The occasional petrol fill-up, maybe a flat tire repair here and there and an oil change every couple of thousand kms (if remembered) keeps these "work horses" going. They are used to carry children, animals, building supplies, anything that can be loaded onto or pulled by a xe om. It's not uncommon to see families of 4-5-6 on xe om. Highly illegal - but not something the local police seem to worry about.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb