hanging out in Hoi An


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
January 9th 2008
Published: January 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

hi all
we are currently in complete luxury in the Vinh Hung resort, Hoi An. We have stuffed ourselves at the fantastic buffet brekkie (franks instructions to the kids; eat up its all you'll get today!) and now the kids are playing pool with some other kids (all the other boys staying here seemed to be named Jack!). Hoi An at first glance seems to be merely a tourist town. It is heritage listed, so all the old buildings are preserved rather than torn down for big new developments, all the shops seem to cater for tourists (cafe, tailor, gifts, shoes, restaurant, galleries) and it is very clean, with no cars in the centre of town. maybe Hoi An is a santistised version of vietnam but after Hanoi and Hue we are pretty happy with it. This is our fancy accommodation part of the trip-lovely pools, huge rooms very stylish. We have stayed in cheap to mid range accommodation up to now ranging from $US12 to $US40 per room. This place is a different category all together, hence frank's urging to eat a days worth of meals at breakfast.
We went on a motorbike tour of the Hue area with Mr Trung. We had 3 bikes, frank, me and Mr Trung. After a couple of fearful hours of rural roads (and a slight accident leaving me with a scraped tummy and Mr Trung very concerned about a small scratch or 2 on his very shiny new bike) we got another driver for me. I had a much more relaxing journey able to look at the scenery rather than every bike, truck, pedestrian, cow and bump on the road. I now have a new appreciation for anyone attempting to drive in this part of the world and I totally got into using the horn, to warn absolutely everyone that I was on the road so get out of the way!!! Frank was fantastic, cruising around with hardly a fearful glance at the oncoming traffic and bizarra approach to crossing intersections. MY bruised tummy is recovering faster then my bruised ego, especially as we met up with mr trung that night at dinnner and Im sure he told all his mates about my little crash. Frank assures me I did very well under the circumstances (only ridden motorbike previously, on the farm-no traffic-no intersections, no people!). The kids thought it was hilarious!!!
I am attempting to attach some random photos, so check them out and let us know if you are out there reading this


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



9th January 2008

Half your luck!
We've really enjoyed reading about your trip - love the photos!!....we are now contemplating where we can go!
9th January 2008

Hi all
I'm about as sharp as a billiard ball, I have been relishing your blogs, poring over each one but I didn't realise I could write back. Good to see you are having a good time, sounds beautiful and unspoilt. Will catch up and compare travel notes when you get home whenever that is Craig
10th January 2008

Thanks for the memories!
We have loved reading each update of your trip; very inspiring and adding fuel to our constant travel bug. Snapshots are excellent, so hopefully we get to see more when you're back. Eat up and watch for nasty bike adventures.
12th January 2008

great
thanks heaps for sharing your adventures and photos, harry, lincoln and nicola have been reading all.

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb