Hoi An... What a Scam.


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
October 18th 2005
Published: October 19th 2005
Edit Blog Post

So we were a little unprepared for this city. Hoi An is a quaint beach town that has its streets lined by tailor after tailor. You are able to have anything made out of ANY material, ANY style, to fit your EXACT body!! This is anyone's paradise. But it is also a giant black hole. We lost all concept of space, time, and money. We had to get out asap after a few days of major damage. It is embarrassing, yes, but we did not even venture out of the downtown to see ANY of the surrounding sites (like this cool waterfall; but we have seen those before! right?) or even the beach. Sad. We know.

However, note to the wise: if you plan on visiting Hoi An... bring your favorite pants, bikini, etc. so you get what you know you like!! we def didn't, unfortunately, and we learned the hard way.

This was really our paradise. Jessie literally thought it would be smart to pack three wife beaters, a pair of pants she hates, and a white skirt (who brings ANYTHING white while traveling??). And Stacy was stoked to have extra long pants made...

Anyways, Stacy had
damn, stacy should have been a design majordamn, stacy should have been a design majordamn, stacy should have been a design major

"no heel please. oh, and my left is a little larger than my right. i want them pointy, but not that pointy. here, let me draw them..."
a pair of linen trousers (as they say here) made the first day, and they were AMAZing so jessie went a little wild and designed 6 different pairs of pants in one day. Ha ha ha. The funny part - NONE of them fit perfectly. We were pissed b/c (one) we were so excited, and (two) we have been walking extra blocks to save 10 cents on water... so we could drop some cash in this town! What a scam, this place.

That was a stressful day, but the good thing is, after you try on the clothing, they make marks, and send them back to get fixed. The next day we ran around like chickens with their heads cut off collecting and fixing all the things we ordered. It all worked out, and we love almost everything, just a few impulse buys...

But honestly this place was like eye candy... having clothes made is addicting. We felt like we were playing barbie while in Hoi An. Stacy even designed her own shoes and clutch! They actually trace your foot on paper and measure every width along your foot... Stace was in heaven (see photo). Our bikinis have
where the magic happens...where the magic happens...where the magic happens...

after a long day of designing, the ladies cut the material and send it off to different tailors.
actually turned out to fit better than bathing suits at home - and for only $7-$13 (even reversible!)

so that was exciting.

Every morning we would go to Cafe BoBo's for a cheap bite. Jessie got Stacy hooked on veggie omlettes (served with a yummy warm baguette - thank you french colonialists!!!), and Stacy got Jessie hooked on banana shakes. Both items are offered at every resturant/cafe and at any time of the day. Yes! Another common meal for us has been noodle soup with veggies and tofu. It has been almost two weeks without meat!!! We are really craving a good steak. Meat of all kinds are of course offered...but they are just not the same (slash, we see the meat in the market sitting out all day on dirty tables with flies - no FDA here!).

We have been trying the local brews at every city, and surprisingly they have been pretty tasty... no guiness though!! Jess read in our book that the next city has an irish pub... we have yet to get smashed... trouble!

we miss (shit it has only been two weeks) and love you all...

xoxo S & J


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

final product!final product!
final product!

one of many (you don't want to know how many suits jessie got). soon we will be wearing them!
ahhh...ahhh...
ahhh...

after a long day of shopping, jessie can only afford the 50 cent local brew.
although shit brown...although shit brown...
although shit brown...

...still quite beautiful.
marketmarket
market

looks prettier than it smells. the meat/sea food section is close by. stalls like these go on and on and on with people constantly yelling and pushing by.


20th October 2005

your pictures look really cool. I wish I could be there.
20th October 2005

d
my ladies are having such a blast. i love it.
21st October 2005

Two Weeks?
Are you sure it's only been two weeks? It seems like you guys have been all over the continent already and you've really only seen one country. Wow! I wish I was having an adventure like that. Boohoo! I'd like to try some of that local brew.
21st October 2005

hey girls
i love that you're finding heaven. i'd probably substitute the little asian seamstresses for margarita waitresses but over in that exotic paradise it would be a trival difference. much love
22nd October 2005

I miss you
You guys are the best. this is the coolest way to stay in touch with friends EVER!
23rd October 2005

Ummm...
So I think to be fair, I should assume that you each designed me an outfit at least, Stacy's as a Christmas present, Jessie's as a Hannukah present... Love, Your favorite half-Jewish friend

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb