Hoi An and My Son Ruins


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
March 29th 2007
Published: March 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After a relaxing time in Nha Trang we moved on to Hoi An, a picturesque port city and a great jumping off place to go and visit the My Son ruins. We hadn't gotten very far in exploring when we came across a shoe shop where they will actually make shoes tailor fit to your foot (I got a pair of sandals, a pair of high heels and a pair of leather boots made and Steve got a pair of dress sandals made for 60 bucks total). A little further on we came across a tailoring shop and got a whole bunch of clothes made (suits for $30, what could be better?) We got a bunch of stuff including a cordoroy coat each. Our hotel was really cute, and it had a swimming pool which we made use of that night before going to bed. The next day we visited the My Son ruins. These ruins are from the Cham people (the same culture that built Ankor Wat in Cambodia; My Son is smaller and older than Ankor Wat). It was stunning, the juxtaposition of the red clay bricks with the green of the foliage in with the mountains behind. We could go inside a bunch of the buildings and admire statues and sanskrit writing. We went a little photo crazy and just marvelled at the scenery. After a nice walk through the jungle, we took a slow river boat back to Hoi An. There were so many neat things to photograph that I spent most of the ride with my camera at the front of the boat, while Steve alternated between making fun and me and telling me what to take a picture of. After a final fitting of clothes and some minor alterations we were off to the swimming pool again, and then off to bed!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb