Bite size Vietnam


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
February 6th 2007
Published: February 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Happy (Lunar) New YearHappy (Lunar) New YearHappy (Lunar) New Year

Banner in Hoi An
Hoi An seems to be the only part of Vietnam not levelled by the Americans in their endeavours to stop the march of communism. It has an Old Quarter, something you can't say of Saigon. The Old Quarter is small and friendly to walk around. So small and friendly that it seems there are more tourists there than locals.

There are a nice range of restaurants from the excellent kitch high-end Mango Rooms, where most of the menu has some mango component, to a parade of excellent Vietnamese - including the excellent Thanh Phu'o'ng - with seven item set menus from just over $3 (cross the narrow bridge from the Old Quarter and turn left).

Around the Old Quarter there are a number of sites to visit, Phuc Kien Assembly Hall and the Japanese Covered Bridge being my favourites.

Hoi An has a beach only a short cycle or motorbike ride away. The beach is OK, but the vendors outnumbered the tourists and don't really let off until 4pm. My advice if you want to check out this beach, is do it in the afternoon.

A better beach, with no vendors is China Beach. China Beach is next to Marble Mountain, a short bus ride towards Danang. I'd highly recommend taking a full day to do both Marble Mountain and China Beach. Marble Mountain has a number of caves with in-situe carved marble buddhas and a seven tier modern pagoda half way up. To reach the top of Marble Mountain there is a path that goes up through a cave and comes out of a narrow passage at the top. The views from the top are outstanding. On the coast road you cross to go to China Beach there is a very Vietnamese restaurant serving goat done in at least three different ways. Very tasty.

Another day trip I did, which I wouldn't recommend as highly, is the Champa ruins at My Son. Whilst the My Son ruins are more extensive than the Cham Towers at Nha Trang, the Cham Towers serve as active temples. Whilst My Son used to be the centre of Champa culture for over 800 years and may be occassionally dusted off for ceremonies, it has the feel of a small site at Angkor that you wouldn't glance twice at. The free cultural music and dance that is laid on at 10-30am is pretty good, though - see pictures.

You can get cultural music and dance without leaving Hoi An - for a small admission fee - at a small theatre on Nguyrn Thai Doc - again see pictures.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Phuc Kien Assembly Hall IIIPhuc Kien Assembly Hall III
Phuc Kien Assembly Hall III

Note the spiral incense burners hanging from the ceiling
Traditional Music  and Dance ITraditional Music  and Dance I
Traditional Music and Dance I

In theatre on Nguyen Thai Doc, Hoi An
Traditional Music and Dance IITraditional Music and Dance II
Traditional Music and Dance II

In theatre on Nguyen Thai Doc, Hoi An
Traditional Music and Dance IIITraditional Music and Dance III
Traditional Music and Dance III

Free show at My Son ruins
Traditional Music and Dance IVTraditional Music and Dance IV
Traditional Music and Dance IV

Free show at My Son ruins
Traditional Music and Dance VTraditional Music and Dance V
Traditional Music and Dance V

Free show at My Son ruins
Traditional Music and Dance VITraditional Music and Dance VI
Traditional Music and Dance VI

Free show at My Son ruins
Marble workersMarble workers
Marble workers

Marble Mountain
PagodaPagoda
Pagoda

Marble Mountain
Malcolm and NguyenMalcolm and Nguyen
Malcolm and Nguyen

on top of Marble Mountain
View of Marble MountainView of Marble Mountain
View of Marble Mountain

...from China Beach


18th February 2007

Such COLOUR!
What a RICH blog, Dave. The carving in Marble Mountain is so elegant, I suppose it wouldn't fit in your day-sac? Remembering what you brought back from Africa!! Or maybe one of the dancers??

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0771s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb