Around and About Hanoi, Wrapping Things Up


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
May 31st 2015
Published: June 4th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Hanoi



Hanoi! A beautiful city with the old world charm of the French Quarter, the kinetic energy of the barter in the Old Quarter, the cultural diversity of the people, the pungent, sweet, spicy smells of food and sweet aroma of coffee, the frenzied sounds of motorbikes zipping through intersections, the incessant honk of horns, shouts of passersby and drivers alike. It's a captivating city that seizes and repels.

Reception at Home of US Ambassador Ted Osius




We all arrived in Hanoi at the beginning of the week in anticipation of a reception for all Fulbrighters -- those who are currently serving in Vietnam and those who are on their way to the US to study. The ambassador's residence is a stately home, fitting of a US diplomat and we were graciously received by Ambassador Osius' spouse Clayton, a former Fulbrighter in London. It was so good to see everyone -- Andrew who is living in the jungle collecting data on endangered species, Everett who was teaching finance in Hanoi, John who was teaching economics in Hanoi, Kat who is doing a study of bee-keeping in Vietnam, stationed here in Hanoi, Peggy who is doing some phenomenal work in aging and also has her own NGO that provides assistance to orphanages throughout the country, and Cathy, teaching economics in HCMC. Jill Kester, US Senior English Fellow, was also there and then the entire group of Fulbright English Teaching Assistants (ETAs) -- whom we had all met last summer in DC -- were there -- Sonya, Hilary Ross, Kirsten, Leann, Wesley, Jonathan, and Ophyer. Nga and Thu Huong from Fulbright and Michael Turner from the US Embassy were all in attendance. It was a sweet reunion!

Final Presentations




May 28, final presentations at the JW Marriott, which is located in the west of Hanoi. It took us about 40 minutes by taxi to get there but this is a monolithic hotel complex that is essential a convention center. It resembles a royal palace, really -- marble floors and huge marble staircase, spacious open lobby areas, a manmade pool surrounded by modern abstract structures -- meeting rooms perhaps? A cornucopia of food was served at the buffet in the dining room overlooking the water and we were well taken care of. The presentations were amazing! We all shared our experiences -- so many good memories, so many good people we all met, so many accomplishments! That day of sharing was

Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0571s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb