Hanoi part 1 (30.07.12)


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
August 4th 2012
Published: August 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We had some real issues with our online booking for the cheaper hotel in Hanoi, and so had ended up booking a slightly more expensive hotel than intended due to the very last minute and rushed booking (by this i mean about 8 pounds each a night...not to crazy!). We arrived at about 9.00am off the night bus and thought we would try and at least leave our bags. The girl at the desk said our room was not yet ready, but she would "upgrade" us to their sister hotel where a room was ready. We were obviously a bit dubious about this but said we would have a look. They then walked us 2 doors down the street to a hotel by the same name. Turns out this hotel is newer, only open a few months and has a higher star rating. The staff were overly friendly, lovely bathroom with a fancy rain shower, what a win! The girl from reception sat us down and showed us on the map a route of sights to see, gave us info about restaurants and opening times of museums, with a free cup of tea!

After a much needed shower, we spent the day walking aound the city. We went to the Temple of Literature, which is the site of the first recognised University in Vietnam. Very peaceful and pretty. We also walked around the Hoa Lo Prison, used during the French colonisation for political prisoners. It was then used during for american war prisoners (known as the Hanoi Hilton). The prison has now be turned into a museum. As always its a presontation of the prison from a Vietnamese view point. Showing how hard life was in prison for the vietnamese prisoners, and then how comparatively easy it was for the american prisoners.

Today it rained.....a lot, all because I forgot my umbrella! We had forgotten a little bit about monsoon rain, we have been so lucky up the coast we have not really seen rain since Saigon, but today made up for it I think! Fingers crossed the weather improves for Halong Bay!

We wanted to go to the Ho Chi Minh Mausaleum and museum, where former president Ho Chi Minh has been embalmed and you can visit him! There is also a museum there to find out more. Ho Chi Minh is very important to the Vietnamese, so this is a very important site...which is closed on Mondays, so better luck next time!

We went to the recommended restaurant which turned out to be fantastic, very busy and full of vietnamese people, which was great. Then we found "Beer Hoi corner" which is a junction where all sides have little kids plastic chairs and everyone sits around drinking cheap local draft beer...great stuff.

Heading to Halong Bay tomorrow and can't wait, after much deliberation and reading stories about rats in cabins and ships sinking, we have booked a slightly more expensive 2 night trip to Halong bay. If you do it cheap style it can be as little as $60 for 2 nights...the rats are free!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.196s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb