Back in Hanoi (Part 3)


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
March 1st 2010
Published: March 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

you gotta buy one of theseyou gotta buy one of theseyou gotta buy one of these

plus some steak knives. Hanoi night market
28/2/10 - The drive back to Hanoi from Ba Be took us through Tay ethnic villages. The road was lined with many thatched bamboo houses. The farmers were just preparing to plant their rice, a little later than those closer to Hanoi. You could see that groups of neighbors were helping each other with the plantings and would then in turn help plant others fields over the coming days.

Night market - a feeding frenzy

The night market was in full swing in Hanoi, so after we dropped our bags back at the Bao Khanh hotel we took a walk around. This market is a new thing since our last visit to Hanoi in 2007. It was very busy, with most of the stalls selling goods like clothing, handbags, shoes, etc. Most of the products were aimed at the locals as the sizes were not suited to slightly over weight westerners like me.

At the ladies clothing stalls there was a feeding frenzy going on as young girls were grabbing bargains on tops and skirts. You would take your life into your hands jumping in there with them!

Eyes just like you

While walking through the
Feeding frenzyFeeding frenzyFeeding frenzy

well a shopping frenzy
market I noticed a cute young boy with a new cap on and his father said to me “he has eyes just like you”. I took another look at the boys face and realised he had Vietnamese facial features and clear blue eyes. The father then suggested “why not take a picture” so I did. I asked the father did anyone in the family have a non-Asian background, he told me “no, nobody in the family is western, but I think some generations back a distant relative came from France”. A cute kid.

Ooooouuuucccccchhhhhhh!

1/3/10 - Accidently kicking your toe on some furniture sure does smart sometimes. This morning it did more than smart a little, it hurt like crazy. I managed to accidently kick the leg of the bed and broke the 4th toe on my left foot. There was a loud crack as I kicked the bed and I looked down to see my 4th toe point off sharply to the left. Mouth shaped out a few words I have no intention of typing and I pulled the toe back into its correct position. Ouch - that hurt!

Women's Museum

We spent the morning at the Hanoi Women’s Museum, the first floor is devoted to a display about the contribution women have made in the armed conflicts with the French and then the Americans. While not a huge display it is interesting and shows that it is not just men who put everything on the line during war time.

On the third floor there is currently a display about street vendors. It was also very interesting and gave a good insight into the lives of Hanoi’s street vendors, who are largely women.

Lunch with Ha, Mike & Christopher

We met up with Ha for lunch, together with her husband Mike and gorgeous son Christopher. Ha had been our tour guide when we had travelled Vietnam from North to South in 2007. We have kept in contact since and it was great to catch up, plus meet Mike and Christopher.

Steam bath, sauna and massage

For our last night in Hanoi the other Mike took us for a steam bath, sauna and a massage. This was just great … having my back cracked by the masseuse as she walked along my spine was bliss. I could fly back to Hanoi weekly to get this treatment if I could.

After the massage we went to a restaurant that specialises in some kind of pork and noodle meal, the to a cafe up a million flights of stairs (well it felt like it with a broken toe) to get the specialty of the house - a passion fruit milkshake.

Last minute shopping, packing and farewell

2/3/10 - We did some last minute shopping, packed our bags and paid the final bill at our hotel. We organised our transport to the airport and said our goodbyes to the lovely staff at the hotel. I have to give a big thank you to all the staff at the Bao Khanh Hotel as they are very friendly, helpful and caring. We were very shocked when Thanh, the young man who worked evening shift at the main desk handed us a farewell gift as we were putting our luggage into the car for the airport. He had ducked out and purchased a painting for us to take home. That was so thoughtful of him.

The end of a very memorable trip!



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.277s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 32; qc: 144; dbt: 0.1618s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb