Hanoi Hilton


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
June 22nd 2009
Published: July 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The breakfast was lovely, maybe even more so than normal as it was free! ( well, included in the hotel ) . I ate toast for the first time in months!

The tour group was going to the Mossuleem which I had already seen, so John & Jeff, two guys from the group kindly let me tag along with them to go and see the Hanoi Hilton prison. The prison really showed the bad condition the prisoners lived/tortured in. There was a guillotine for the be-headings. There was also the US senator MCcain's old uniform and photos of his stay during the war. It was not a nice place.

We then walked back to the hotel for a much needed AC break and then walked out toward the west lake. We visited a large pagoda, which was in the middle of the bridge. It was beautiful and free entrance 😊 We went for a snack and got soaked in the monsoon afternoon downpour, but it was lovely and refreshing.

Then the whole group met up and took a cyclo tour to the water puppets show. I would say give this a miss as it was a bit long and I might have fell asleep a few times. There was a pool on a stage and there were people behind a screen with puppets on sticks.

That night we took the night train toward Sapa, a village about 200km northwest from Hanoi, where we would stay for the next 2 nights. The train was so cold from the AC that my cold got worse, at least my tummy was back to normal.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Inside the prisionInside the prision
Inside the prision

Not a nice place
Beer on train to SapaBeer on train to Sapa
Beer on train to Sapa

Gotta try the local beer.


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb