Ho Chi Minh


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
January 12th 2006
Published: January 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

HoHoHo

If you can see it the long lines to Ho's Mausoleum
Ho Chi Minh, the Father of modern day Vietnam Is being presented as somewhat of a cult figure. His face is everywhere. It is on all denominations of money, statues; pictures of "Uncle Ho" are on banners across roads running into villages. The Post Office, Schools, Government buildings, he is everywhere. This is much more noticeable than when I was here In 92, 2001 or 2002. "Uncle Ho" has earned his place in history. He devoted his life to the Independence of Vietnam and did not live to see a united Vietnam but his goal was achieved.

Uncle Ho's popularity is genuine even by those who opposed his polices. There were many sides to Uncle Ho. He lived life simply, never asked for much, was well educated, mostly self-learned. Many of his polices were terrible and have been changed but Uncle Ho seems to live on in popularity.

I remember flying my Squadron Commander to a base near Cu Chi In 1967 and after landing he told me he would be in a meeting all day and if I wanted to go over to some barracks and get some rest, go ahead. I did, and the only person in the barracks was this old woman who was hired by the US government to clean and wash the soldiers clothes. She could speak some English and I asked her the question: Who Is the best leader, Ho Chi Minh or Nguyen Cao Ky. Nguyen Cao Ky was then the President of South Vietnam. The best leader I thought Vietnam every came up with. Ky stepped down to Vice President under Thue for the sake of unity In the South Vietnamese Government. I thought he was good. But, the washerwomen who worked for our Government and was South Vietnamese did not hesitate: "Ho Chi Minh," was her answer.

There are a lot of Ho Chi Minh museums around the country. Hanoi has some of the best. The also have the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum. I just had to see this. Ho had just been returned from Russia where he gets his annual makeover. This was the first day he was on display since his return. The whole process, which was against his will, he wanted a simple cremation, was put on with a lot of grace, pomp and circumstance and dignified. I imagined being in line for hours but the whole process was fairly quick and well organized. You get more than a glimpse of Ho as you enter the room and pass slowly on three sides. He looked exactly as his photos. He looked like he died a few minutes before.

After the mausoleum you can go to the Ho Chi Minh's Stilt House and pass by the old French Governor General's Governors Palace which Is now the Presidential Palace. The Stilt house Is where Ho was suppose to have spent much of his time during the war. I had pictured In my mine a native stilt house but Ho's was very well constructed and beautiful, located near a beautiful pond and garden.

Ho's Museum is more than a museum. It tries to relate to the past and future. You start in the past and move to the future by walking in a clockwise direction downwards through the museum. The modern displays all have messages, such as peace happiness and freedom.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

HoHo
Ho

Some of these stilt house photos are not rotated because this machine will not cooperate.
HoHo
Ho

Conference room
HoHo
Ho

Front view of Stilt house
HoHo
Ho

Buildings used by Ho's staff.
HoHo
Ho

Ngat and me at he HCM museum


13th January 2006

from Colorado Spgs to Vietnam
We're enjoying your travels. January 13th we're meeting Jane (Britton) Schmidt and husband, Fred, in Sanibel Island, Florida. I'll share your news with them.

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb