HA NOI - HO CHI MINH MAUSOLEUM AND TEMPLE OF LITERATURE


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
November 12th 2008
Published: November 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

2.11.08

We woke up early this morning, with the only purpose of going to see Ho Chi Minh. The ho Chi Minh Mausoleum Complex closes at 11.00, so if you plan a visit you' ll need to be there early. We weren't actually planning to visit the whole complex, but still, we wanted to walk there, which took us some time.
The third (or fourth including Stalin, even if you can't actually see him) embalmed communist hero on our way, we really couldn't miss it. Considering the fact that, with all respect that Vietnamese people have for him, he as well didn't want to be embalmed. We walked around the complex area fenced by guards to keep people at a distance. We got to a point south where it seemed like you could pass, but there were guards all around. I thought we could just keep on going our way and get to the entrance, but a man stopped Michael and told him to ask the guard that would let us pass. So that's what we did, but clearly a simple thank you wasn't enough for the man, and he wanted some money. He would have waited for us to come back. We quietly walked through all the check points, left our camera, and joined the cue that slowly snaked inside the mausoleum. There was a lot more people here that we found at Lenin's mausoleum. But apart from that, the experience was almost identical, including the appearance of the place, the sarcophagus, the guards. Only Ho Chi Minh looked far better than Lenin. But still...
As usual the experience didn't take long, but we weren't really keen on going back out where the guy was waiting for us. So after a bit of time spent around the mausoleum, we decided to pay a visit to the rest of the complex, or at least to the park and the buildings where Ho Chi Minh lived and worked for years. Obviously with the only purpose of finding another exit, which we eventually did. But we've been also lucky enough to visit one of the finest examples of architecture I found along my way to this point. The house on stilts, an amazing simple timber house with a great feeling.
When we finally got out of the complex, it was already quite late and, considering that we skipped breakfast to be there early, we were already quite hungry. To put two things together we opted for some food and drink at KOTO, just beside the Temple of Literature, that we could then visit in the afternoon. We highly recommend KOTO, a place where they teach street kids a job, they train them and give them opportunities, and deliver good food and good service.
The Temple of Literature hosted for a very long time a university where Confucius discipline was taught, and now its own temple. It's a wonderful place enclosed in a garden wall that makes it an island in the chaotic Ha Noi. Despite the number of people visiting, it still remains a peaceful place, where many boys and girls sat in the shade drawing views of the pagodas.
From there we walked all the way towards the lake and then wandered along the streets of the Old Quarter to have a look at the shops.
We're enjoying this place so much that we finally thought to offer ourselves a dinner at a restaurant. It's been such a pleasure, the place so nice, and the food amazing, so good! We had a lovely night.
Vietnam is giving us a lovely time, such a beautiful feeling, we're so happy.



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

The House on StiltsThe House on Stilts
The House on Stilts

At Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum Complex


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0289s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb