What really matters.


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
December 10th 2005
Published: December 10th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Let's just jump right in.

Canada's first fight of the day was Eslam vs. Brasil. Eslam fought well and the fight went the full three rounds but in the end Brasil got the better of him. Our second fight was this evening, Bruce vs. India. Again, Bruce fought well and the fight lasted two rounds with India coming out the victor. We are all very pleased and proud of how both Bruce and Eslam fought and represented us.

It is important to remember competition does not define who you are as a martial artist or a person. Sure it is nice to win but it is better to know that you gave it your all, tried your best and had fun! Anything can happen on any given day here. This competition is so much about experience for our team. None of them have ever been to this level before. This is a learning exercise for all of them. Win, lose or draw what matters is the experience, supporting each other and having a good time. This competition is the pinnacle of our sport. Not many people ever reach this level and even fewer people have the guts to step into the ring to begin with, so we have been trying to stress to them that winning is not what matters. What matters is that they are here giving it their best.

There were a few notable fights and events today. The men's 65Kg fight between New Zealand and Sri Lanka was an all out three round war. Sri Lanka came out the victor but the New Zealander will be one to watch in the future. Also, the men's 65Kg between South Africa and Venizuala was a very exciting match. The South African will go far in this competition.

The Vietnamese team did well but more importantly the Vietnamese fans were out in full force. Beating on drums, blowing on horns, running through the stands waving flags. They got the entire crowd into it and really created an atmosphere for some good fights.

We haven't got the schedule yet for tomorrow but we're sure it will be Bart and Alanna's turns to step into the ring. I think Shane might have to wait another day. There are only 6 competitors in his division.

Other notes, Ayron broke his finger tonight helping Bruce to warm up. He was working the pads with him and Bruce threw a kick that crunched Ayron's right hand, ring finger. Fortunately, we have two doctors here with us (parents of one of the Talou competitors). They set it for him and taped it up with a makeshift splint made out of a fork from the hotel restaurant. We have travel medical insurance but the doctors didn't think it was serious enough to go to the hospital here. Also, it was my birthday today and Ayron took me to the Clinique store here (yes there is a Clinique store here). I went a little crazy but my face feels so clean now! It was sorely needed after nearly a week in all of this smog and grime.

I'm sorry I haven't been able to upload any photos. The hotel's computer tells me I don't have "sufficient security" to load hardware. I'll try to get to an interenet cafe soon and see if I can do it from there.

Please send all your good butt kicking vibes our way for tomorrow's fights.

Love to all.



Advertisement



10th December 2005

Some butting kicking vibes from me. Sounds like an excellent learning experience for you all. Will go to HsingI today and chat up your latest news with the gang. Take care.
10th December 2005

Excellent!
Thanks for the update! Can't wait for some visuals. Send my best wishes to everyone! Jordan
10th December 2005

Good Luck Everyone!!
10th December 2005

P.S Albert and I are trying to get the group together this week to get a practise in!!
11th December 2005

Go Bart Go!!!!!
Hey Folks. Just a quick comment to say how proud I am of all of you. Enjoy the moment and experience! ALL my vibes go to Bart right now...May he have fast reflexes, powerful punches, and body-shaking, brain-knocking kicks!!!!
11th December 2005

We are with you!!!
Good luck to the team! Enjoy and have fun!!! Happy Birthday Melisa!!!
11th December 2005

Go Canada!
I tried a note yesterday but it didn't get through..i was wishing you all the best of luck and to enjoy the moment and experience. Go get 'em! Marco
11th December 2005

Best of Luck
"In Battle the forces are only two, the regular and the the special, but their combinations are infinite, and no one can comprehend them all." -Sun Tzu Best of luck team and much love to everyone.
12th December 2005

Best wishes
Hi to Team Canada - Clear thinking and best wishes to our competitors! On Dec.11th Vancouver is about 3 degrees C and part sunny and part foggy. Cheers - JWR
12th December 2005

Don't worry, there's always next time! Best of luck in the upcoming fights. Hope Ayron is alright. O_O
12th December 2005

Here are my vibes...
Hey guys, Who's Eslam? 3 rounds against Brasil?! I bet that was a close match. Good work!! Good work for Bruce as well, and sounds like he is hitting harder and harder (enough even to break Ayron's finger). Win or lose, you guys are the best Sanshou team ever assembled in Canada. This is the first time we have a FULL team, and EVERYONE get to fight!! Enjoy every moment of it!! You are all winners!!! And for Bart and Shane, "go kick some butts! the goal is within your reach!!" Happy Birthday Melessa!! And say hello to Ayron and Dan and everyone for me :) One question that I have been wanting to find out though; what's the real Vietnamese noddles (Pho) like? Looking forward to your next update!! take care, Derek.
12th December 2005

We are with you!
Good luck to the team! Enjoy and have lots of fun! Happy Birthday Melisa!!!
12th December 2005

Hello all! Sounds like you are all having a whirl wind of a time!Good effort everyone and good luck in the next fights. To Melissa, Happy birthday girl!To Ayron hope your finger heels well! Aleasha
13th December 2005

We Miss you
I just logged on and looked through your entries Melissa. It was a great read and I'm pleased that the competition is going so well [except for Ayron's finger]. Good food and good friends makes for a good journey. All is well back at the ranch...enjoy. David
13th December 2005

Stay strong
You all have a great attitude and I'm proud to know you...keep the stories coming...they're even better than survivor:)

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb