Hello Hanoi


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
May 26th 2008
Published: July 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Matt Writes:

And so after relaxing in Laos it was time to make our way to the frantic Hanoi.

There is a bus from Vientiene to Hanoi, but economics verses sanity would decide for us to take the 1 hour plane ride as opposed to the 24 (or so) bus ride. I think we have done our fair share of busses by now.

The small Laos Airlines prop driven plane with dated upholstery wasn't as bad as we had been prepairing for. After travelling in Russian antiques in Cuba a few years back, we were ready for the worst which fortunately didn't happen.

Getting out of Vietnam airport was surprisingly relaxed, no questions about my repeated business trips to America but plenty of questions of Taxi, hotel, or information we would like as we left the air-conditioned refuge of the terminal and out into the collecting area.

We opted for a minibus into town at just 2 dollars each (although it was a little squashed), we got ourselves into the city center in less than an hour. We then got followed by eight or so people wanting to sell us hotels, tuk-tuks and tours -
Flying MachineFlying MachineFlying Machine

But check the thunderstorm looming behind
a pattern was emerging here. Checking into our planned hostel we freshen up and decided to explore the early evening and the streets of Hanoi.

We find sunset at Hoan Kien Lake, grab some food, and then join in the mass tourism exercise of a show at the Thang Long Water Puppet Theatre. Not much of the show can really be appreciated though, with talking throughout, constant flashes of cameras, some seemed to prefer to watch the whole show through the LCD screen on their digital camera than to see for themselves. Others walked out during the performance. Sometimes it is really embarrassing beign a tourist.

When crossing the road in Vietnam, you need to leave everything the Green Cross Code man taught you back at home. The trick here is to boldly step where only a suisidal maniac would of stepped before. Despite its apparent chaos, the system is far more chivalrous than it looks. Faith is put entirely on the drivers around you to avoid pedestrians on their preilous journey. If you stop mid-road to avoid traffic, they are more likely to hit you as they planning your trajectory. Its a culture shock at best a best done first after a little dutch courage...but not too much.

Our next day starts off in the bright sunshine having breakfast overlooking St. Joseph's Cathedral, then we wonder through the charming streets of the Old Quarter and book our trip to Halong Bay before hiring a cyclo to drive us pass the citadel and onto the Vietnam Military History Museum with its candid comentary and sometimes disturbing artifacts. Shrapnel damaged helmets or a blood stained bulletproof vest, clearly displaying the fate of those who owned them.

Passing Ho Chi Minh's Mauleseum, we take our own history lesson over a few beers sitting on the shore of the West Lake as the sun sets over the water.

We then jump on two taxis Vietnam style. 2 motorbikes or Xe Om/Honda Om whisks us through the hectic streets of Hanoi, passed the remains of a B52 shot down during the war, its remanance protuding from a murky lake and back into the Old quarter where we seek out Highway 4 for some traditional Vietnamese food. Although the setting is great, We decide to give the crickets, horse and dog meat a miss.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

DeliveryDelivery
Delivery

Putting UK Pizza boys to shame
Hoan Kiem LakeHoan Kiem Lake
Hoan Kiem Lake

Two Lovers at sunset
OrchestraOrchestra
Orchestra

Provide the soundtrack at the Water puppet theatre
Mua roi nuocMua roi nuoc
Mua roi nuoc

Puppets that dance on water
TrafficTraffic
Traffic

I can think of scarier things to do than cross the road in Hanoi...But not many
Uncle HoUncle Ho
Uncle Ho

In the Military Army Museum
MinhingMinhing
Minhing

Ho Chi Minh's Mausoleum
Ice Cold BeerIce Cold Beer
Ice Cold Beer

It is so hot here, you need this to keep the bevvies cool. Even when you drink them as quickly as I like to.
SunsetSunset
Sunset

Over the West Lake, Hanoi
Emma gets a cabEmma gets a cab
Emma gets a cab

And just like London, they don't know where they are going.
Liquid LunchLiquid Lunch
Liquid Lunch

Liquors at the Old Quarter's Highway 4 they are supposed to be medicinal you know, that is why Matt had two


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb