VIETNAM-HA NOI or HANOI


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
March 31st 2008
Published: April 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Scrambled Eggs Coming Up?Scrambled Eggs Coming Up?Scrambled Eggs Coming Up?

Love these photo opts of scooters used to carry goods. This was taken on the bus coming in from the Hanoi airport.
Arrived in Hanoi from Bangkok and took the mini-bus to the old quarter.
Have come to understand that transportation is always an issue in SE Asia-cancelled flights, taxis drivers who don't go where you want, hotels you are headed for suddenly change names (since the taxi drivers get a commission for bringing you somewhere else, etc.). Won't go into details but finally reached the Camellia Hotel.

Grabbed a copy of the "Viet Nam News" Saturday
32 pages 30,000 Dong (about $2US), English Edition

Front Page: Property Prices Soaring.
"Ha Dong City leads housing boom as real estate west of the Ha Noi heats up."
(Harvey, this is your big chance!)

Page 3 Protected snakes found on airplane
"Ha Noi- About a tonne of live ran rao trau, or the Asian Red Snake, was detected aboard Vietnam Airlines flight VN830 from Bangkok to Na Noi on Thursday. Forest rangers say the protected reptiles were in 60 packages addressed to a person in Ha Noi's Soc Son District.
(Clearly, these guys missed the movie.)

Page 3 Three convicted drug traffickers were executed by fire squad in Ha Tay Province, adjoing Ha Noi yesterday.
The Ha Tay People's Supreme Court
Old Quarter-HanoiOld Quarter-HanoiOld Quarter-Hanoi

A relatively deserted street in the old equarter.
had found Tech A Lang 42, Du Van Quan, 40, both of Son La Province, and Hoang Kink Duc, 46 from Lai Chau Province guilty of possessing and trafficking heroin in December.
( As we've heard they don't fool around here in SE Asia with drugs)


OK-This city is challenging; you must think outside the box as they say, in order to enjoy it at all at all. If you visit the "old quarter" as I did it has to be one of the most challenging, engaging, frustrating and interesting places in this wonderful world we are visiting. Let's make it clear, you can't be comfortable in the old quarter, even I would say if you are Viet; it is a chaotic place where folks just try to make a living, survive, as is the case for us tourists, and move along. And, I mean move along; since scooters are the preferred mode of transportation we are talking very close and personal. Walk across the "street" i.e. lane and think that because you made it to the other side that you are safe??? What was I thinking. The sidewalks are major alternative routes and used extensively.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Quite InterludesQuite Interludes
Quite Interludes

Early morning walks along Hoan Keim Lake, which was located about three blokes from my hotel, provided a small respite from the chaos.
Street MunchiesStreet Munchies
Street Munchies

This beauty was preparing deep fried bananas about a bloke down the street from my hotel. After a purchase and a few smiles/gestures she agreed to this picture.
Hanoi High RiseHanoi High Rise
Hanoi High Rise

With a small home or shop below, it is easy to add a story, and then perhaps another, etc.
Uncle Ho's TombUncle Ho's Tomb
Uncle Ho's Tomb

Visited Ho Che Minh's tomb in Hanoi where the guards insisted on a quiet solemnity?e.g. no talking, walking in single file, no cameras etc. Ho's embalmed body, which looked pretty good actually, is contained in a quite, draped room in the centre of the huge structure. It reminded me of the personality cults exemplified by Lenin's tomb in Russia, Mao's in China and the hugh pictures of Che on buildings in Havana.
A Smiling Hanoioin?A Smiling Hanoioin?
A Smiling Hanoioin?

It's said that north Vietnamese are "colder" than their compatriots in the south. I found the people here friendly and welcoming, if given the chance (and if they can be persuaded to slow down).
Is This So Cool?, or WhatIs This So Cool?, or What
Is This So Cool?, or What

Don't know what happened here, or what that is on my head


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb