Hanoi hallo moto


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
October 22nd 2007
Published: November 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Temple of LiteratureTemple of LiteratureTemple of Literature

Once the training centre for Vietnam's elite academics the Temple of Literature is considered the country's first university.

Sir Madame where you from?



Hanoi's chaotic Old Quarter is a sharp contrast to sleepy Cat Ba. Quietly decaying terrace houses nestled one by one jostle for space astride shops, restaurants and hotels. Street kitchens outside the door serve whatever is fresh and there's some kind of vendor operating from every nook.

The streets here are narrow and anything with wheels has right of way, even on the footpath. Walking is best done with your wits about you and at a steady pace - avoiding motos (both parked & moving), animals, garbage, cyclos and goods for sale is an art we're yet to master with grace.

Are happily indulging the tourists in us, taking in all the usual sights. Temples, pagodas, rooftop bars, museums and all things Uncle Ho. Took in a performance at Minh's Jazz Club, immediately esteemed in Duncan's mind for the huge portrait of Gerry Mulligan hanging on one wall.

Pho is becoming our staple breakfast - clear noodle soup with beef or chicken, spiced up with chilli and limes. It shoos away the hangovers that are still very frequent...



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

One Pillar PagodaOne Pillar Pagoda
One Pillar Pagoda

The last remaining part of an ancient pagoda all but destroyed by the French. We sat watching a young man fishing in the pond at the base of the pagoda - amazingly, there were fish to catch.
Mobile fruit vendorsMobile fruit vendors
Mobile fruit vendors

Women walk all over Hanoi, peddling fruit (and all manner of other goods) from baskets suspened on a bamboo pole.


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb