It's Getting Hot in Here...


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
July 14th 2007
Published: July 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

**Ashley Says**
Hello everyone! Just a quick update from Vietnam before we head out for some shopping. This morning we went to Ho Chi Minh's Mausoleum in Hanoi. For those of you that don't know, Ho Chi Minh was the president of Vietnam from 1946-1969. He is truly loved by the Vietnamese people. Many citizens make pilgramages to his mausoleum every day to pay respect to their passed leader. The mausoleum is a huge square shaped building and inisde in a sarcaphagus is the displayed preserved body of Ho. It was really crazy to see something like that, as we have nothing comparable in our country.
The line to get in streched out almost onto the streets of this huge complex. We weren't really sure what was going on when we arrived because all of the people on loud speakers were speaking in Vietnamese (obviously) and we couldn't tell what we should do. Finally though, we figured out which line to get on and waited to go through security. When we made it up, we realized we were in the wrong line the whole time because of a few of us had cameras which had to be checked after security because they werent allowed inside near Ho's body. So Taylor, Rebekah, and Fiona had to check their cameras, and let me tell you, this was really something to witness. Everyone trying to put their cameras behind the desk was the most insane thing we have ever seen. People were acting as if there were piles and piles of cash up for grabs behind the desk, they were all pushing and shoving to be the first to give in their cameras. It was so bizarre because we couldn't understand why everyone was in such a rush for this part of the "adventure". We looked over at one point and it looked like the three of them had been swallowed up in a group of tiny Vietnamese people! It was really crazy.
Anyway, the whole experience was really interesting to see so many people flocking to view their president's body. They love him so much that he is called Uncle Ho.
Then we saw the palace and houses he used to live in and it was all very intersesting. And a quick sidenote...it is over 100 degrees here and they wouldnt even let us bring water with us past security! Madness!
Hope everyone back home is well.
Ashley

Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb