My Big Fat Vietnam Birthday Belly


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hai Phong
September 27th 2012
Published: September 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Ok, so yesterday was our first payday (Can we get a woop woop). So being confident and comfortable in our wealth we decided to treat ourselves to some good old western food for dinner. We went straight from work to one of the only western style restaurants in Hai Phong "Texas BBQ" (situated next to the expat bar Julies). It was absolutly glorious!!! A medium pizza each, and trust us, it was delicious.

After washing the pizzas down with a Hanoi beer we walked (slowly, and carefully nursing our food babies as we were so stuffed with pizza) back to the Ngan family house which I live in, only to find out that it was Mr Ngan's birthday ... and that we were invited to eat with them.

Our first instincts were to cry because we were so full, but we did the only polite thing we could and pulled up chairs at the table. The table was filled with plates and plates of different vegetable dishes, fruit and different meat and seafood dishes.

Nadine was lucky as she could use the excuse that she doesn't eat meat other than chicken. I however was quickly taught how to get the meat out of massive crabs (it was actually quite nice) and the main dish was made of buffalo meat. The buffallo meat was quite a strange taste but I ate what I was given as it was a very expensive meat to buy. The meat came from the famous Buffalo Fighting festival which occured the day before on the local "Do Son" beach. After the fighting all of the buffalo are killed and the meat sold.



The birthday party was a great experience, we met the extended Ngan family and spoke to a few of them. Also, to not put a dampener on the festivities, I joined the men in drinking straight vodka. I swear my breath could have peeled the walls due to the vodka fumes before Nadine cut off my alcohol flow reminding me that I had early morning classes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



27th September 2012

Food babies
I like that expression - never heard it before. Good on yer, Gromit. Sounds like you are throwing yourself whole-heartedly into all that Vietnam has to offer. You will have a wonderful time, I just know it. Thanks for all your news and posting so frequently
9th October 2012
Crab-tastic

Wow what wonderful looking crab, what a meal!,
9th October 2012

What a wonderful experience !

Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0577s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb