first two weeks in vietnam update.


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northwest » Yen Bai
December 20th 2008
Published: December 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi guys,

Another short one i'm afraid and no pictures as yet i don't have my camera lead with me.

Spent the first week at the volunteer house in a small village called nahm ding near to the north coast. There are 6 girls on the trip with me and we are having a great time, they are all really nice and we are getting on great. We have done all sorts of things to learn about the local culture including vietnamease language lessons, playing with the local kids and teaching them english, painting the kindergarten, a cooking lesson which also involved going to the local market to but the ingredients- fun as we had just learnt the words for the things we needed and we had to ask for everything in vietnemease, ended up with some decorative mushrooms that you really shouldn't eat but hey it was an adventure. The vietnamease people are very friendly but they are not used to seeing "big western girl" as they so kindly put it whilst pinching my arms, legs and bum!.

the start of the second week we stayed at a monestary high in the mountains north of Han noi. We were privelidged enough to be welcomed into the nuns quarters where we had to wear blue robes and bow as a sign of respect. We had to get up at 3am to join in with the meditations sessions. That was hard but an hounor. I think i must have still been asleep as when i came out of the temple i tripped and sprained my ankle. Have the big purple bruises as a reminder of my stay. The nuns were very kind and used various hearbal medicines to bring the swelling down. Note to self - NO meditation at 3am- silly idea!!!

Following the visit to the monestry we spent two days in the hill village of Tam Dao. There wasn't alot to do but we had a chance to relax and i used the time to rest my foot. A couple of the girls went for a trek through the bamboo forest , they said the views were amazing. it's a shame i missed it but i think it would have been foot suicide to even try.

We travelled back from Tam dao on friday to another province called Nimh Bing. We have spent the day visiting local temples and took a boat trip down a river. The views were amazing, breathtaking doesn't even cover it.

I have plenty of photos that i will hopefully be able to upload at some point this week.

We are heading back to Hanoi tommorow to take the overnight train to the mountain village of Sapa for the trekking week. Looking forward to it but it will be hard work and very cold.

Hope all is well with everyone.
I hope you have a fabulous christmas and new year.

xXx



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



21st December 2008

Oooooooh get you!
Sounds like you're having an adventure. Spraining your ankle is rubbish news, I hope it gets better soon Alex. Do you know what you're doing on Christmas day itself? Have you been eating properly? I like the idea of imagining you trying to function at 3am! Ha ha. I hope you keep having a great time.
27th December 2008

lovly photos
I loved seeing the first view of alex in three weeks as i'm missing her {just a bit} I read the writing in the cafe as Fastfeed and laughed but Iwas told that it did say fast food must get new glasses. Speak soon

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0719s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb