Sapa


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northwest » Lao Cai » Sapa
October 31st 2010
Published: November 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

22/10/2010 - 25/10/2010

Hanoi is the perfect base from where you can visit Sapa and Halong Bay for some days. First trip on the agenda was Sapa, a cloud-covered town located at 1550 m above the sea level. Here you can visit the beautiful rice terraces. The area is also home to 7 ethnic groups with unique cultures, lifestyles and languages; all wearing their traditional clothes.

Plan was to go on a 3 night 2 day trip of which the first and last night would be a rough and sleepless one on the train. Hate it when I cannot stretch my legs.
I had a very unpleasant surprise on the train to Sapa when I wanted to show some pics to my fellow cabin sleepers: forgot the battery of my camera in the charger at Eric s place!!! Arrived in Sapa I cursed again once more cause I forgot my reading book on the train.
For the first problem our guide had a good solution, we went to a local camera shop and I was able to rent a camera (an older canon, but more then sufficient) while using my photo memory card. Book however was nowhere to be found, so they said.

The first day we went on a hiking tip through the rice terraces. On our way we came across much of the ethnic local people. Again massive tourisme has shown its negative effects here as well. Friendlyness comes with a price here. People tried continuously to sell you some of their handmade bags, bracelettes, etc..
But the surroundings are really amazing. A bit shame of the weather though, it was a bit grey and clowded. Didn't rain though, however at one time our guide thought it did, but it was actually just one of the local kids which was pissing down on her head! (hilarious moment)

In the evening we stayed at a (touristic) homestay in the mountains, had a nice dinner and ended up with a drinking game with riced wine. Had a good sleep.

Second day was a bit short; small walking trip to the waterfalls and afterwards just wondering around Sapa centre (almost forgot to bring the camera back😊)


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

rice terracerice terrace
rice terrace

unfortunately the harvest had just been done.,..


Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0237s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb