Sapa to Hanoi via Lao Cai


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northwest » Lao Cai » Sapa
April 1st 2008
Published: April 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The day again started early needing to be on a bus to Lao Cai at 7:30am. We walked where we were ushered onto a bus and waited for a few minutes.

During the wait a cloud swept into town and the town square disappeared into the mist. Soon the rain started and we started our trip to Lao Cai.

We wound down the mountains until we were dropped at the train station for our trip to Hanoi.

The train snaked along the path of the Red River for most of the trip passing farms and small villages. Even though it was hard seat we did have air con and the opportunity to meet and talk with some of the locals as well as some fellow travellers from South Korea.

Eleven hours latter we are pulling into Hanoi station to once again be greeted by a mob of touts for hotels, bikes and cabs. We opt for the cab and head to our hotel, Prince 79 in the old quarter of the town. We did at least have the forethought to use the time on the train to ring ahead and book the hotel. The traffic is full on here, 100’s of bikes on every street, horns tooting all the time.

After a short break to get our bearings a walk is in order and some dinner. We don’t venture very far this evening and head back to our hotel for a good nights sleep, it has just been a very long day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The Red RiverThe Red River
The Red River

It is said that a great battle happened - when the killing was finished the river ran red.
Workers in the rice fieldsWorkers in the rice fields
Workers in the rice fields

Workers in the rice fields with the Red river just in the background


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb