WaaSapa?


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northwest » Lao Cai » Sapa
January 6th 2008
Published: January 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

SapaSapaSapa

One of the many views in the beautiful countryside.
Hellllllooooo Vietnammmm. I wonder how many blogs have started like that. Well, we took a night train from Yunnan province to the border of Vietnam. I had read about rickety buses in Vietnam and Cambodia, but I didn't expect it so much from China. The roads weren't up to par. The sleeper bus was a little like your mother rocking you to sleep in the cradle, except in this cradle, you couldn't sleep, your mother was smoking, and she was blabbing Chinese in your ear. We were happy to finish the 10 hour jaunt. Off to the border. After getting frisked, the border police seized about 25 of our favorite copied DVDs. The federalis had guns, so arguing was out of the question.

We got our exit stamp, and crossed the river to Vietnam. What a feeling. After getting our entry stamp, we stomped into Vietnam. We decided to change money. I spoke Chinese to ease the process, but it proved unsuccessful. It really was like 2 different worlds. We ran into a 12 passenger van, and took a 2 hour $1.50 ride to Sapa, the northern highland destination where we spent the past 3 days.

The road criss crossed mountains, going up and down at will. Since it was morning, there was a glow and haze about the mountains, with only the peaks visible. If we would have crashed off the side, it felt as if we could float on the clouds. What a feeling. I knew it was gonna be a good place.

We arrived at our bare bones hotel and set out for a trek. We headed to Cat Cat Village, a small minority village just outside of Sapa. As you can see from the pictures, it was quite breathtaking. I could try to explain in words, but I think pictures are better. Unfortunately, our pics were lost in a failed transfer, so I can only include one (a picture not taken by us).

I talked about Yunnan earlier, and how we yearned to get closer to the people in the mountains. Well, in Sapa, we did just that. They are beautiful people, dressed with white chicklet gum looking smiles and the finest dyed wear they could get their hands on.

On Day 2, we took a 3 hour ride to the Bac Ha market, a Sunday only event where minority tribes gather to trade and socialize. The most interesting thing about it was the animal trading. Buffalo, cow, dogs, etc. We now know that the black buffalo is much stronger than the white buffalo.

On day 3, we took another trek. You wouldn't believe how much effort it takes for a village person to get into town. Up the ridge, through the valley, over a stream, up steps, down slippery paths. Our grandparents maybe exaggerated that they walked up hill both ways to school. For these minority folk, the "up hill both ways" adage couldn't be more true. It seems that life stresses the body much more for the older and younger folk. They make daily round trips from their villages to Sapa, some maybe trekking 15-20 miles. The parents, for one reason or another, strap the newest babies on the backs of their little children, maybe as young as 5 years old. Quite a bit of responsibility.

Off again on a night train to Hanoi, another crazy and hectic city. Still safe and sound, extremities in tact.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 67; dbt: 0.1263s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb