Vietnam fair trade travel tours on the rise - trekking to empower H'mong women


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northwest » Lao Cai » Sapa
January 24th 2020
Published: January 24th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Tourism by far is one of the leading development changes happening in international destinations like Vietnam. According to Vietnam News outlets, a few years ago Vietnam officials increased travel incentives to more Asian and E.U. countries, including France and the U.K. by waiving Visa fees and restrictions. Westerners still require an entrance Visa. (A three-month multiple-entry visa is US$70) After a lull in tourism, Vietnam was determined not to be left behind.



While it’s dependency on tourism dollars continues to grow, and there is no shortage of distinct luxury resorts, you will still find rustic accommodations in many parts of your travels as the infrastructure races to catch up. A country of villages, hilltops tribes, hideaway beaches and overflowing cities, an impression of home grown solutions and community still lingers. There is no better time to meet humble craftsman (and women) and step away from the travel brochure to your own journey for social good. Imagine bypassing the overpriced tourist baiting and polluted skylines to contemplate your travels on a different level. Fair trade travel buzz is palpable in Vietnam and worlds are connected with non-profit tour options from Sapa Sisters, Sapa O’Chau, Traidcraft, and World Vision Vietnam.

Leaders like Travel Plus Social Good, their emerging media company, and Visit.org are focused on bringing sustainable tourism into the global limelight, along with the need for fair tourism. We partnered with these innovators as we embarked on a tribal trek in Northern Vietnam with no more than a backpack and a fresh sense of discovery.

We begin with a not so calm and quiet trip, on the overnight sleeper bus to Sapa. (pack some earplugs and plenty of music downloads) Upon a bleary 5:00 a.m. arrival, Sapa Town still feels like a secret bathed in the clouds. With a full itinerary to accomplish, we stream past the street vendors, determined to reach the booking office for Sapa Sisters and a stay at the humble Graceful Hotel. Over fresh ginger tea and open hospitality, we secure our trekking spots for the next four days with our targeted non profits.

Our days start at 8:00 a.m. surrounded by incredible mountain scenery to Sin Chai and Cat Cat Villages. A dense backdrop of terraced rice fields take us deep into ethnic villages of indigo batiks, tribal jewelry, and incense making on a 15 KM trek with our guide. Each day takes a different route through H’mong villages, and schools, dotted with handicraft makers and a meshing of locals and foreigners.

Sapa O’Chau and Sapa Sisters were chosen because of their dedication to social enterprise. The change is happening where it is needed most. Shaping independent lives for the women and children of ethnic mountain tribes. It’s not uncommon for women to be stuck in an unhealthy or abusive situation because they have no education and no means to support themselves. Fair trade tourism, volun-tourism, travel for social good -- it's an inspirational effort that will take all of us to make a difference. This is where humanizing the travel experience, with a peek behind the airbrushed marketing, wraps it's arms around you and captures a piece of your heart for Sapa. We met locals, including our guide Dhong, who have been able to leave bad marriages, send their children to school, buy supplies, build homes, and learn more skills because of these organized tourism outlets. These guides are English speaking, who are proud to explain the local lifestyle.

With two days left, we had a peak to conquer. We had already booked a guide and porters for the steep (10,312') climb up Fansipan, Vietnam's highest peak. Hoping the legs would hold out and feeling confident we had done our internet research of what to expect, we headed out for two days of trekking with an overnight at base camp. It was more than we bargained for. This is a summit hike that will require you to be in good shape, with approx 8 to 9 hours to the peak it will push you past slick rocks, steep overhangs, rock scrambling and root climbing. And you still have to make it back down.

At the peak you will find panoramic views of lush mountains, cloud laden bamboo forests and instagram worthy photo opp's. Not avid hikers ourselves, this was as much of a mental challenge as a physical one. You are highly encouraged to pack light (without the 30 lb pack we carried) as your sandal wearing porters will swoosh past you with baskets of food, sleeping bags, and supplies for the trip. There is plenty of food, and beer at base camp. Be prepared to embrace your rustic chic, as the accommodations may leave you wanting and tired with little more than a wooden platform. Dress warm, pack light, hydrate, and push yourself. The camaraderie and commemorative "medal" at the end are worth it. Shaky legs as all. While most village women are not allowed to guide or porter Fansipan, the teams that guide these tours two to three times each week, are able to earn well past the average $300 a month salary and improve their family life.Tip your guides, and be sure to take them out for Bai Hoi, a local draft beer for an average of $1 USD per pitcher. Our fair travel Fansipan tour was booked through Sapa O'Chau and can also be booked through Graceful Hotel.

Be aware that due to more suitcase tourist, and the drive for tourism dollars, a cable car is being added to Fansipan Peak. This has already changed the landscape and now will be one of the last chances to travel the route of Sapa highlanders before the peak is too crowded.

We encourage you to take a digital detox from your normal lives, and book a trip of a lifetime. With endless choices at our fingertips, and an overwhelming dissatisfaction from our disconnected lives and image overload, improving community prosperity through fair trade travel makes a difference in all our lives.

We say put on those trekking boots, and step into the mud. You'll find plenty of it on Fansipan.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb