Vietnam Tour March 24th to 10th April 2011


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northeast » Bac Kan » Ba Be
March 27th 2011
Published: March 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Arrive Hanoi Friday 25th March after an uneventful flight. ( The taxi to Manchester airport developed a flat tyre. The car did not possess a wheel brace and a Manchester taxi had to summoned to complete the journey arriving nearly 3 hours after leaving Clitheroe and in the nick of time for the flight!)

Saturday 26th March. An early breakfast followed by a vehicle transfer of approximately200km to Phu Thong followed by a 32km cycle ride to Ba Be National Park for a 1 night stay.
In the Far East you soon become aware of the difference in life style seeing many strange things as you go along. We saw a dead pig strapped to the back of a small motorbike on its way to the market. We arrived at the hotel in the dark and found it to be very basic and tatty, in need of a makeover. The evening meal was quite good but in a room with open sides and we were quite cold since the weather was not as warm as we would have thought. After sunset it goes quite cool. We had to wear legwarmers and long sleeved tops on our ride here. Cycled 27 miles.
Sunday 27th March. An 80 km ride today. No electricity this morning so 6.30am breakfast consisted of noodles aired on a portable heater. Had to wash and dress by the light given from a tiny portable book light. Next a 2 hour boat cruise, which was quite pleasant with a short ride on a mud road between two seperate boats. On this road we passed through a very primitive village with houses of palm leaves and or wood planks and mud floors. This was followed by a very steep ride into the mountains. The ride was harder than the Alps, steeper and just as long as many cols. We had a 10k climb of up to 20% followed by 8k of unmade road. Young boys were also seen loading a concrete mixer with tin trays of stone and sand etc , which they carried on their heads. The descent was cold and wet and my arms and hands were in pain from braking for the hair pins. I was glad to get to the 1 star hotel, tired and wetThe area is very picturesque with rice paddies and lots of other interesting things to see.
Lunch was at a very ramshackled place. As this area is so remote, really out in the wild, there are no cafes or any other eateries so had to buy some very basic provisions from a little shop. managed to acquire some tuna, cucumber and bread. The locals view the party of cyclists as though from another planet, they are so unused to foreigners in this region. Locals just walk up to you and stand and stare.

Cycling to Bac Me for a 1 night stay.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



18th April 2011

Dubai Tours
I’m wondering if you have noticed how the tour & travel industry has changed? What a people seemed like a never discussed issue.I've to seen your site,the theme of site is good,what ever you discussed with people,they got new things.I’ll check back to see what you have to say(http://www.mastholiday.com/travels/destinations/dubai.html).
25th April 2011

International holiday packages
Hi,i visited your blog today and it works, Congrats.Well, that could be excellent,but i want more about additional choice for further details. would you mind to publishing another post regarding these to?Thanking You.

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.078s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb