Hue and onwards


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » North Central Coast » Thua Thien - Huế » Hué
October 6th 2009
Published: February 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Always research a place before you arrive. Well I did to the best of my abilities. But if anyone asks me how to do Hue now, I would be categorical - get yourself a two wheeler.

But nothing that I read gave me any understanding of the distances involved in Hue. Yes, other than the Imperial City, most everything are kilometers in different directions. Had I known this, I would have opted for a motorbike. Motorbikes seem easy to hire everywhere, and while I had been anal about licenses - it seems not that big a deal. But we would learn that later.

I had managed to contact a local CSer yesterday, and she enthusiastically promised to meet us and show us around after her morning classes. We decided to make it an early day - but by the time we had reached the Imperial City - it was already 9. This was the capital under the Nguyen Dynasty - the last rulers of Vietnam. Dating back a 1000 years, their architecture - as their rule, was an excellent example of the strong Chinese influence which perpetrated through the entire country under these rulers.

The majestic Imperial Palace infront of the Flag Tower was a true statement of power. You could imagine the kings in all their aura sitting on the throne inside the main hall. The interesting thing was the painstaking remaking of the old structures and at what cost!! They were veritably building it completely anew. The scale and the grandeur of the buildings would not be diminished by any shirt cuts - so if its glazed roof tiles, it IS glazed roof tiles exactly in the same colour as the original. The woodwork was being recreated from scratch - the flooring, the roofs. Quite impressive and such a different approach to conservation.

Going over to the Palace Theatre, and there is actually a performance there. Too good a chance to miss - 60 dongs and we have a seat along with a mineral water bottle. The aura of the Royal Theatre not withstanding, it was obvious that the show was put up for tourists.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb