The Old Citadel at Hue


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » North Central Coast » Thua Thien - Huế » Hué
January 5th 2008
Published: January 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

From Hanoi, we flew south to Hue. Although only an hour away by flight, Hue’s climate was very different to Hanoi. Hue was humid, wet, very cool in the evening and cloudy. We took a taxi to our hotel, the newly opened Orchid Hotel. I had booked the “romantic room” not because we were on honeymoon but because at $20 a night it was the most expensive room they had, can’t complain there. When we arrived the manager looked happy to see us and was very friendly and inquisitive of our holiday so far. He soon started to talk about the “romantic room” letting us know that due to flooding the room was not in use and he had transferred us to his other top suite. He was really apologetic, we told him not to worry about it and that we didn’t mind changing rooms. It was only then did he ask, “why? Are you not on your honeymoon?” When we said no! He started laughing and promptly told everyone in ear shot that we had booked the honeymoon suite even though we were not on honeymoon! All the staff found this hilarious, and brought it up each time we saw them throughout the stay. Apart from the funny staff, the hotel was very nice.
Hue was wet throughout our entire stay, we visited the old citadel which was covered in mildew. We also stopped at the local market which was a real experience, we saw all sorts of foods, drinks, and goods for sale. Young kids begging and tugging at you, stall owners hitting them off you, it was probably the most hectic market I have ever visited. That night we had dinner at the Garden restaurant across the road to the hotel, the food was great, and the entertainment of live traditional music and singing was really fun accompaniment to a great meal. The next day we made our way to Hoi An.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb