Driving in Vietnam


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » North Central Coast » Thua Thien - Huế » Hué
August 10th 2007
Published: August 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Facing Traffic in Vietnam
Well I could say that like drivers the world over they are patient, careful and wait their turn. But I'd be telling a lie.
They do not get impatient and road rage is something you don't see.
What you do see is 5 people on a motor bike, people on motor bikes talking on mobile phones and riding.
Mad bus drivers, the yellow buses that I like to call yellow submarines travel at incredible speeds and when coming towards you want your bit of the road as well and have the loudest horns I have ever heard, generally as they sneak up behind you.
Horns, they couldn't operate without horns!
We were confused for a while as we heard music from lane ways, turns out drivers replace the beeping reversing buzzer with their favourite tracks.
We traveled on the A1 highway towards Hanoi, I recomend you fly, don't drive yourself or ride a bike either a motor bike or push bike if you wish to live. I was somewhat frantic as I saw trucks rushing toward us only to swerve back at the last sec.
Our trip leaflet speaks of serene country roads, we are still waiting.
DriversDriversDrivers

Driving in the country a real experience

But really this is an amazing country, with an incredible history, sure they focus a lot on the war but who could blame them. Well worth the visit and if you love side show rides then the road is probably for you.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

The Yellow submarineThe Yellow submarine
The Yellow submarine

The fastest buses ever and the loudest
On the roadOn the road
On the road

Great truck designs


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0712s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb