The Mighty Mekong


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta
July 24th 2006
Published: August 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Mighty Mekong River

Well after the boredom in Saigon, it was a relief when we finally got into a tail boat and cruised down the Delta. Along both sides the Delta is full of busy workers, the delta is so fertile, gardens, fields, rice plantations and orchards are seen everywhere. As we float past one our local guide proudly boasts this delta combined with the hardworking Vietnamese
farmers produce more than enough rice for the country, which allows Vietnam to become one of the largest exporters of rice in the world.

We passed the four major islands of the Ben Tre district: Dragon (virility), Phoenix (femininity), Tortoise (longevity) and Unicorn (luck).

First stop was a coconut candy product making "factory". Whilst basically a cottage industry and obviously very tourist oriented but the candy tasted pretty good!

Next up we visited an apiary we sampled some of the home brew, most notably was the snake wine, this was a big bottle of wine with a full dead python in. Apparently the addition of the snake was essential as it provided men with great sexual power!

Further up the river we stopped again and came across a friendly Python, and after applying some much needed peer pressure I manged to persuade Alan to pick it up! Check out his face on the photos!

Later one of the guides picked up a honey pallet from a bee house, full of bees, after sticking my finger in I got some honey without beeing stung! Sweet. I tried to get Alan to do this same but understandably he declined. Probably for the best as in Asia he does seem to be a target for all kinds of animals and insects which sting or bite!

After Lunch we decided to leave the rest of the tourists and go for a bike ride along the river and through a small village. The people here were so friendly, everyone waving and saying shouting hello to us. It seems the people here are poor and have little in terms of material possessions but are always cheerful, happy and full of smiles.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.282s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 19; qc: 96; dbt: 0.2441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb