Mekong Delta


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta
May 31st 2006
Published: June 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

We felt we should make a trip to see the Mekong Delta and the kind man at our hotel talked us into doing a 3 day tour which ended up in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. The first day we were bussed 2 1/2 hours to the Mekong River where we went to see a fruit and fish market on the riverbanks. Here we tried banana wrapped in rice batter with coconut sauce for breakfast (really nice). From here we took a cruise down the river for lunch at Tortoise Island and to see a coconut candy factory, where we sampled rice wine which we think is just methylated spirits. We also visited a bee farm, where we had honey tea and were treated to a performance of traditional Vietnamese music, which we were informed was not rock and roll. The last stop before bussing to our night's accommodation was a trip through one of the small canals on a row boat.

Our accommodation was not entirely up to the standard we had been used to for the rest of the trip and we struggled to sleep through an air conditioner that wasn't really that conditioning and sounded like an aircraft about to take off, which we had paid an extra US$5 for!

The next morning we had breakfast at 6.30am so we could go and visit the famous floating market, which is a collection of boats selling fruit and veges. The way to distinguish which boat sold what was to look at the pole on the front of the boat, which had attached to it the items that were for sale.

Other stops included visiting a noodle making stall, a crocodile farm (they farm 10,000 crocodiles for consumption and skin) and we walked through a local village to get an idea of how the Mekong people live.

The final part of the day almost killed Anna, we had to trek up Sam mountain to watch the sunset. It was the hottest part of the day and about 45 degrees, the views from halfway up were splendid, overlooking the rice paddies and the Cambodian border, the views from the top were crap and Anna was very annoyed that we had to trek all the way up there when the guide stopped at halfway!

When we thought the accommodation of the previous night was substandard we were in for a nasty surprise as that night's was even worse! So we ended up going for dinner with 2 kiwis and 2 poms so we didn't have to spend more time than was necessary at the "hotel".


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Mekong style housingMekong style housing
Mekong style housing

Our accommodation was similar to this


4th June 2006

I hate to say it Jared but you actually look like an asian
5th June 2006

We would have to agree with Katie,sorry Jared.Just as well I'm not there the bags would be over flowing I'm sure.An amazing trip you guys are having!

Tot: 0.333s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb