Good Morning Vietnam


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta
May 22nd 2010
Published: May 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Vietnam has an emerging economy, ever since good old Bill lifted the sanctions on Nam in 1995. Since then the Kids have been tucking into KFC, strutting around in Nike trainers and listening to Avril Lavigne. So when we got off the plane expecting bamboo huts, little wooden bridges and paper lanterns we were sorely dissappointed. To see that stuff, we had to get to the Mekong Delta where everything exists on water. Floating markets, floating hotels ,floating boats, floating floats - that sort of thing. We couldn't visit the area without joining a tour and inevitably it felt a little put on show. Jostling between sour faced, middle aged tourists to see how they make rice. We got through it without buying anything - except for coconut candy which is the best kind of candy ever - and saw what we needed to see, then made a sharp exit to the island of Phu Quoc. I know we keep saying everything looks like Lost, but this place looks like Lost! Its mostly deserted compared to Goa, but resorts are popping up fast. The sea is crystal clear, with some outstanding dive and snorkelling sites. Sadly no turtles at Turtle Island - The locals ate them all. But some humongous alien-like coral in abundance. And this lot actually understand that pouring your rubbish into the sea equals BAD. The Indians should take note.

Its hot. There are a hundred bugs that seem to like burying into your hair, and noisy lizards that like to wake you up in the morning.

Next up we head to Cambodia to do a quick dash around the Temples of Angkor Wat.

Emma adds: We've actually managed to do all this in the space of about a week, travelling from Kathmandu to Singapore and then across to the beautiful Phu Quoc island. We came here with three Australian guys who were on our tour and have been drinking Phu Quoc cocktails on the beach every night. Also got some motorbike riding in, some snorkelling (which was great apart from I got the most seasick ever) also got stung by a jellyfish - i hate jellyfish. Tim's off diving tomorrow, but now that i'm scared of boats i'm going to spend my time on the beach, improving my already awesome tan..




Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

War atrocities MuseumWar atrocities Museum
War atrocities Museum

Bloody Americans! tssk...


31st May 2010

I'm jealous
Bank Holiday Monday, socks and gloves weather if outside, logfire and a good novel if inside. You two better bring some of that sunshine home! xx

Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb