Bangkok to Chiang Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
October 1st 2015
Published: November 1st 2016
Edit Blog Post

Bangkok - Chaing Mai 13.45- 4.00 a.m

A sleeping train, we choose the fan cabin option, pretty basic but perfect, first class sold out. Food vendors walk the aisles selling allsorts from cold drinks to pad thai wrapped in little leaf parcels- 10 Bahts and beautiful. The train moves slowly stopping off station to station. the sights are magnificent, filled with padi fields with an array of birds settling- many egrets to be seen. So much water is logged between the settlements of tin shacks. Well it is the last week of the monsoon season. Many stops go by and still dragonflies fill the view from the window. A monk sat opposite fascinates me. I'm sure we have been on this train for hours now although I have no idea of the time, i haven't seen him eat nor drink once, maybe he's peacefully meditating, and i'm too curious and fascinated by everything. Such intense faces hang out of the windows on a train opposite looking with deep concentration and a slight concern. The sun begins to set, and we decide to pull out our beds above our heads. A real sense of tranquil and cosyness sets in, whilst looking across to the woman of my dreams.



In Chiang Mai. It appears to be cosy, relaxing and a smell of peace is in the air. the train station alone offers its ambience. Elephant statues and friendly coffee shops. It's very early, I think 7.00am, the train journey was longer than expected. But well worth the experience. A line of men offer taxi services, but we feel like walking. The streets so clean and empty. A difference from Bangkok. We wonder the streets and enjoy the views. A mountain appears and we continue through a grand gate as we pass over a river. i think we have entered the old city. We find our guesthouse 'Finlays Cottage' with great difficulty as we forgot to write the address, but friendly people help us. A very quiet guesthouse with only 6 rooms, down a very quaint back street, we feel at home.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb